Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by mbastreak <mb...@awofm.info> on 2004/09/09 21:22:00 UTC

[users@httpd] authentication question

I have a question about using a .htpasswd file for authentication. I have
read through the documetation on Apache's website, but I am just not getting
understanding it. Here is my situation:
I have a website, www.awofm.info on that website we have an two areas that
we would like to password protect. I was wondering, what do I need to do in
order to get apache to use a .htpasswd file in order to allow that user to
access those directory. I have the .htpasswd file created, but I am not able
to just put the file in the directory and it work. I think I am missing
something, I have had this set up before, but I don't remember how I got it
working. Can someone remind me? Do I need to add a something to the vhost
part of my httpd.conf file or somewhere else. Since I use Gentoo Linux,
there are several conf files, if needed I can attatch them.

Patrick