Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by blasteralfred <bl...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/21 10:39:13 UTC

What is the difference between starting a node using Java application, and manual starting?

Hi,

I am completely new ti Ignite and am working around examples. I made a java
application, which uses ignition method to start node. Also, I know that
server can be manually started. What is the difference between these two and
why / in which all situations, should i use them?

Thanks in advance..

Re: What is the difference between starting a node using Java application, and manual starting?

Posted by dkarachentsev <dk...@gridgain.com>.
Hi Rick,

Ignite loads plugins with ServiceLoader, so you anyway need to register your
PluginProvier in META-INF/services even if you run it using Ignition. In
case of ignite.sh, you need add jar with plugin classes to libs/ dir and
again with set PluginProvider in it's META-INF/services. In other words
plugins work the same for both cases.

-Dmitry.

Re: What is the difference between starting a node using Java application, and manual starting?

Posted by rick_tem <rv...@temenos.com>.
Is that entirely true?  Plugins don't start when you simply just start Ignite
with Ignite.bat or Ignite.sh unless you package your particular class among
the Ignite jars and add an org.apache.ignite.plugin.Pluginprovider file to
META-INF/services.  Or am I missing something.

Best,
Rick

Re: What is the difference between starting a node using Java application, and manual starting?

Posted by blasteralfred <bl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks @dkarachentsev .  I got it

Re: What is the difference between starting a node using Java application, and manual starting?

Posted by dkarachentsev <dk...@gridgain.com>.
Hi,

If under manually started you mean using ignite.sh(.bat) script, then there
actually is no difference, because at the end it calls the same
Ignition.start() method (Spring configured app as well). But with
programmatic starting you can run more than one node in single JVM. This may
be useful in tests.

Thanks!
-Dmitry.