Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by David Robinson <dr...@ast.cam.ac.uk> on 1995/10/19 19:47:00 UTC

Man page for httpd

This should go somewhere in the 1.0 distribution. I've uploaded it to
hyperreal as 32_manpage.0.8.15.patch

 David.

.TH httpd 1m "October 1995"
.SH NAME
httpd \- Apache hypertext transfer protocol server
.SH SYNOPSIS
.B httpd
[
.B \-vX?
] [
.BI \-d " serverroot"
] [
.BI \-f " config"
]
.SH DESCRIPTION
.B httpd
is the Apache HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) server process. The server may
be invoked by the Internet daemon inetd(1M) each time a connection to the
HTTP service is made, or alternatively it may run as a daemon.
.SH OPTIONS
.TP 12
.BI \-d serverroot
Set the inital value for the ServerRoot variable to \fIserverroot\fP. This
can be overrided by the ServerRoot command in the configuration file. The
default is \fB/usr/local/etc/httpd\fP.
.TP
.BI \-d config
Execute the commands in the file \fIconfig\fP on startup. If \fIconfig\fP
does not begin with a /, then it is taken to be a path relative to
the ServerRoot. The default is \fBconf/httpd.conf\fP.
.TP
.B \-X
Run in single-process mode, for debugging purposes; the daemon does not
detach from the terminal or fork any children.
.TP
.B \-v
Print the version of httpd, and then exit.
.TP
.B \-?
Print a list of the httpd options, and then exit.
.SH FILES
.PD 0
.B /usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
.br
.B /usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/srm.conf
.br
.B /usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/access.conf
.br
.B /usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/mime.types
.br
.B /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/error_log
.br
.B /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log
.br
.B /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/httpd.pid
.PD
.SH SEE ALSO
.BR inetd (1m).
.PP
Documentation for the Apache http sever is available from
http://www.apache.org

Re: Man page for httpd

Posted by Richard Freilich <rf...@vertex.tor.hookup.net>.

This may or may not be the proper forum for this question, and if not, I
apologize, however I don't know where else to send this to, so I figured
here might work.

Apache 0.8.14 has a bug which I encountered that I have yet to see a fix
for, and I figured you may want to know before going ahead with an
official release.

the .htaccess authorization doesn't work the way it did in previous
(0.6.5) versions.

The difference is with the .htgroup files, in that in the past the
following was acceptable:

group1: user1
group1: user2
group1: usern

where as now, only

group1: user1 user2 usern

is acceptable.

This doesn't work when n=5000+ users, as the daemon just spins forever
trying to authenticate the user.

Any fixes/patches available or in the works?

Thanks,

Richard