Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de> on 2009/01/21 11:59:07 UTC

AW: AW: W: AW: Keep-together.within-page in FOP 0.95

Hi Jeremias,

I finally came around to testing your keep-together with numbers and it did not quite work as I did not expect anyway.

Let's assume I have one block with five child blocks. If all five blocks fit on one page, keep them on one page. Otherwise break between block 3 and 4. If any block alone is too big for one page, break it where necessary.

<block keep-together.within-page="1" >
	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 1 content)</block>
	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 2 content)</block>
	<block keep-together.within-page="2" >(block 3 content)</block>
	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 4 content)</block>
	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 5 content)</block>
</block>

should that work? do I need more wrapping blocks like maybe one block around blocks 1-3 and one around 4 and 5?

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Straße 8a
90449 Nürnberg

HRB Nürnberg: 17193
Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

symbol support

Posted by "Li, Hao" <li...@peacetech.com>.
Hi,

It is great to find that FOP trunk is now supporting rendering Symbols (ie Greek characters) directly without all the tricks. However the issues are:

1. the symbol appears not lined up with other characters
2. may not be rendered if inside single or double quote

There could be some configurations that I do not know of. Please shed me lights.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Hao Li

AW: W: AW: Keep-together.within-page in FOP 0.95

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the answer. Luckily this problem solved itself, because the breaking rules I need to implement are simpler than they seemed at first.

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Straße 8a
90449 Nürnberg

HRB Nürnberg: 17193
Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

> I finally came around to testing your keep-together with numbers and it did not quite work as I did not expect anyway.
>
> Let's assume I have one block with five child blocks. If all five blocks fit on one page, keep them on one page. Otherwise break between block 3 and 4. If any block alone is too big for one page, break it where necessary.
>
> <block keep-together.within-page="1" >
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 1 content)</block>
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 2 content)</block>
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="2" >(block 3 content)</block>
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 4 content)</block>
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 5 content)</block>
> </block>
>
> should that work? do I need more wrapping blocks like maybe one block around blocks 1-3 and one around 4 and 5?

I think so. Something like this:
    <block keep-together.within-page="1">
      <block keep-together.within-page="2">
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 1 content)</block>
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 2 content)</block>
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 3 content)</block>
      </block>
      <block keep-together.within-page="2">
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 4 content)</block>
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 5 content)</block>
      </block>
    </block>

However this is all theoretical, since FOP currently handles all integer values the same way; that is, set a very high penalty for breaking inside the block, but not forbid it completely. The idea is to encourage the algorithm to favour layouts without breaks over those with breaks.
While this might not always be the case, the hope is that this is what will happen for most real-life documents.

To achieve what you need integer keeps would have to be fully implemented. I don't think there is any solution other than that, unfortunately.

> Regards,
>
> Georg Datterl

HTH,
Vincent

Re: W: AW: Keep-together.within-page in FOP 0.95

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Georg,

Georg Datterl wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> I finally came around to testing your keep-together with numbers and it did not quite work as I did not expect anyway.
>
> Let's assume I have one block with five child blocks. If all five blocks fit on one page, keep them on one page. Otherwise break between block 3 and 4. If any block alone is too big for one page, break it where necessary.
>
> <block keep-together.within-page="1" >
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 1 content)</block>
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 2 content)</block>
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="2" >(block 3 content)</block>
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 4 content)</block>
> 	<block keep-together.within-page="3" >(block 5 content)</block>
> </block>
>
> should that work? do I need more wrapping blocks like maybe one block around blocks 1-3 and one around 4 and 5?

I think so. Something like this:
    <block keep-together.within-page="1">
      <block keep-together.within-page="2">
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 1 content)</block>
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 2 content)</block>
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 3 content)</block>
      </block>
      <block keep-together.within-page="2">
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 4 content)</block>
        <block keep-together.within-page="3">(block 5 content)</block>
      </block>
    </block>

However this is all theoretical, since FOP currently handles all integer
values the same way; that is, set a very high penalty for breaking
inside the block, but not forbid it completely. The idea is to encourage
the algorithm to favour layouts without breaks over those with breaks.
While this might not always be the case, the hope is that this is what
will happen for most real-life documents.

To achieve what you need integer keeps would have to be fully
implemented. I don’t think there is any solution other than that,
unfortunately.

> Regards,
>
> Georg Datterl

HTH,