Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Eric Roberts <er...@austin.tacc.utexas.edu> on 2003/01/08 00:37:25 UTC

Customization panel error

>From a fresh install of Jetspeed I am noticing some flaky behavior from
the Customization panel.  After logging in as either turbine or a user
I've created, I click on the pencil icon next to the home pane tab to
customize the layout of the home pane.  After I do any sort of
customization to the layout of the pane (closing portlets, moving
portlets, etc...) and click "Save and Apply" it redirects me to the
newly organized Home pane, which reflects the changes I made.  However,
when I click the pencil icon again to customize, I am presented with the
unmodified customization screen - meaning that all of the changes that I
just made aren't recognized by the customizer and I see the same default
customization screen I did the first time, as if I haven't done
anything.  Therefore when I click on any kind of customization option
(add portlet, close portlet, move portlet, etc...) It displays a screen
with a text message that says
"$jetspeed.getCustomizer(data.Customized).getContent($data)".  I have
tried this with all of the following configurations:

Tomcat 4.1.12, Jetspeed 1.4b2
Tocmat 4.1.12, Jetspeed 1.4b3
Tomcat 4.1.12, Jetspeed 1.4b2
Tomcat 4.1.18, Jetspeed 1.4b3

All giving the same results.  After logging out, shutting down the
tomcat server, starting it up again, and logging back in I noticed that
the customizer reflects the changes made the first time but choosing any
customization options (add portlet, close portlet, move portlet, etc...)
produces the same text message as described above.

My questions are:
Does the psml file get updated immediately after clicking "Save and
Apply"?
Why does the customizer not reflect changes made in the same login
session?
What does the text message that I'm getting mean?

Thanks for any help.

------------
Eric Roberts
Grid Developer
Texas Advanced Computing Center
The University of Texas at Austin
ericrobe@tacc.utexas.edu
512-232-5771
------------

Re: Customization panel error

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 03:37  PM, Eric Roberts wrote:

> From a fresh install of Jetspeed I am noticing some flaky behavior from
> the Customization panel.  After logging in as either turbine or a user
> I've created, I click on the pencil icon next to the home pane tab to
> customize the layout of the home pane.  After I do any sort of
> customization to the layout of the pane (closing portlets, moving
> portlets, etc...) and click "Save and Apply" it redirects me to the
> newly organized Home pane, which reflects the changes I made.  However,
> when I click the pencil icon again to customize, I am presented with
> the
> unmodified customization screen - meaning that all of the changes that
> just made aren't recognized by the customizer and I see the same
> default
> customization screen I did the first time, as if I haven't done
> anything.  Therefore when I click on any kind of customization option
> (add portlet, close portlet, move portlet, etc...) It displays a screen
> with a text message that says
> "$jetspeed.getCustomizer(data.Customized).getContent($data)".  I have
> tried this with all of the following configurations:
>
> Tomcat 4.1.12, Jetspeed 1.4b2
> Tocmat 4.1.12, Jetspeed 1.4b3
> Tomcat 4.1.12, Jetspeed 1.4b2
> Tomcat 4.1.18, Jetspeed 1.4b3
>
> All giving the same results.  After logging out, shutting down the
> tomcat server, starting it up again, and logging back in I noticed that
> the customizer reflects the changes made the first time but choosing
> any
> customization options (add portlet, close portlet, move portlet,
> etc...)
> produces the same text message as described above.
>
> My questions are:
> Does the psml file get updated immediately after clicking "Save and
> Apply"?

yes

> Why does the customizer not reflect changes made in the same login
> session?

I couldn't reproduce it. Are you using any PSML references?
I went out to www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed, and ran the 1.4b3 demo
release there.
Created my own account, and following your customization instructions.

> What does the text message that I'm getting mean?

Could you try testing on a new PSML page and see if you have the same
problems.
Also, if you are using the Castor (file) PSML service, make sure that
you have permission to write to the PSML files

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software