Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Martin Fekete <fe...@zoznam.sk> on 2001/12/05 00:00:29 UTC

Where to put classes ?

Hi !
quick question ... where should i put classes which my realm uses  ?
realm is in $catalina_home/server/classes but when i put other classes there tomcat won't start and throws this exception ..

Exception during startup processing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: tem
pest/cocacola/web/xml/Communicator
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.MyRealm.start(MyRealm.java:199)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1108)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3
334)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:612)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:307
)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:3
88)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:505
)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:776)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

thank's for help ...

feky

Re: Application variables timeout under Tomcat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 julien-martin@wanadoo.fr wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 00:14:25 +0100
> From: julien-martin@wanadoo.fr
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Application variables timeout under Tomcat
>
> I am running Tomcat 4.0.1 and I would like to know how long application
> variables are kept in memory.  Do they eventually timeout or are they kept
> in memory until the next server reboot?
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks in advance,
> Julien.

The answer depends on what you mean by "application variables".  The only
time Tomcat *ever* removes anything is under the following circumstances:

* Your session times out --> all session attributes are
  removed.  They will be available for garbage collection
  unless your application maintains other references to them.

* Your application is restarted (either because you have reloadable
  set to true or you used the Manager app) --> all classes loaded
  from /WEB-INF/classes and /WEB-INF/lib (and all instances of those
  classes) are thrown away, and your web app is restarted with a new
  class loader.  Note that this does *not* affect classes loaded
  from "common/lib" or "lib".

* Tomcat is shut down --> everything is removed.

Craig McClanahan

Application variables timeout under Tomcat

Posted by ju...@wanadoo.fr.