Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by jayachandra <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/28 17:10:04 UTC

Pointers to getting started

Hi devs!
I'm new to the community, but the woden idea is exciting to me. I'm
unable to find on net enough info regarding the proceedings of this
project so as sync myself up with it. Can someone point to a mail
archive of earlier mail correspondances amongst the group members,
wiki or scratch docs dump location, anything and everything that's
related to WODEN. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jayachandra
--
-- Jaya

Re: Pointers to getting started

Posted by jayachandra <ja...@gmail.com>.
@lawrence
My main interest is in pursuing Axis2, and in connection I want to
contribute to woden also as most likely it might go into Axis2 at some
point of time. I came to know about Woden after reading the chat logs
of Axis2 F2F that recently happened (March '05) in SriLanka.

@kaputin
Thanks for the help, however I got to this mailing list only after
reading that proposal hosted on gmane. You must be the big-man behind
WSDL4J :-).

Nice to join you all over this list.

Thanks
Jayachandra

Posted by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>.
Jaya,
I think I've noticed you on the Axis2 mailing list? Sanjiva Weerawarana and
Chathura Herath from the Axis team are also on the Woden team.  So far the
Wode proposal has recently been accepted by the WS-Apache PMC, some of the
Apache resources have been setup for the Woden project (mailing list, SVN)
and we are hoping to get some discussion happening soon across the Woden
stakeholders to sync up and agree on requirements and scope.

For your info, here is the text of the Woden proposal. This will end up
sometime soon on a Woden website at Apache:

Woden Proposal

Project Proposal

March 2005.

The Woden project is proposed as a subproject of the Apache Web Services
Project to develop a
Java class library for reading, manipulating, creating and writing WSDL
documents, initially to
support WSDL 2.0 but with the longer term aim of supporting past, present
and future versions of
WSDL.

There are two main deliverables: an API and an implementation. The Woden
API will consist of a
set of Java interfaces. The WSDL 2.0-specific portion of the Woden API will
conform to the W3C
WSDL 2.0 specification. The implementation will be a high performance
implementation directly
usable in other Apache projects such as Axis2.

Members of the WSDL4J team, Apache Axis, Eclipse and W3C will collaborate
on this project. The
Axis2 community have already put some effort into a WSDL 2.0 Architecture.
The Eclipse Web Tools
project has experience in developing WSDL validators and one of its members
is also a member of
he W3C WSDL 2.0 Working Group.

Potential applications:
- Axis2, build time emitters and runtime parsing
- Eclipse tools, WSDL editors
- vendor products
- user applications

About the name “Woden” :
- Woden is a mnemonic for Web service Description (i.e. WoDen).
- Woden is a Norse god and naming the project after a god is in keeping
with other WS-Apache

project names like Apollo, Hermes and Muse.
- Woden invented a form of writing called Runes (i.e. a form of
Description).
- The symbol CEN in Runes looks like ‘<’, a left angle bracket, which may
suggest we can trace
the origins of XML back to Woden!

Rationale

There are current requirements for a WSDL 2.0 processor (e.g. Axis2,
Eclipse tools, the WSDL4J
community). This demand is expected to increase when the W3C issues a
Recommendation for WSDL
2.0.

The W3C WSDL 2.0 specification is currently at the ‘Call for
Implementations’ stage, which
expects two independent implementations before progressing to the
implementation review stage and
then on to a W3C Recommendation. A WSDL 2.0 Java implementation from Apache
call could help verify the quality of the specification and improve its
implementation
experience.

Previous WSDL processors have been version specific, such as WSDL4J which
is tightly bound to
WSDL 1.1.  In the longer term the Woden project could take the experience
gained developing
previous WSDL processors and deliver a WSDL processing ‘framework’ that
could accommodate future
WSDL specifications without the need to completely rewrite the processor.
We anticipate that implementations of the Woden API will also be developed
by other projects for
specific applications (e.g. the Eclipse Web Tools project may develop an
EMF based implementation
to support WSDL 2.0 editors, as it has done with JWSDL for WSDL 1.1).  A
common API will be a
good candidate for future standardization on a WSDL processing API.

Scope

In the short term, the scope of the Woden project is:
- A WSDL 2.0 API that will significantly cover the W3C WSDL 2.0
specification, including the WSDL
2.0 Component Model, Soap bindings and message exchange patterns and XSD
schema typing.

- A high performance implementation of the API with read-write capability,
but optimized for run
time applications rather than build time tooling .

- Fast, efficient XML parsing (e.g. StAX-based).

- A validator component that will provide optional WSDL validation, both
schema validation and
semantic validation.

- An Ant task for command line usage based on Ant XMLValidate .

- Support usability and flexibility across different usage scenarios
through the handling of
behaviour such as I/O, error reporting, progress monitoring, memory
efficiency and thread safety.
Longer term, Woden’s scope will include:

- Full support for remaining parts of the W3C WSDL 2.0 specification, such
as other protocol and
type extensions.

- A Woden framework based on an extendable architecture that will allow for
known or future
versions of WSDL to be plugged in, rather than hard coded in the core of
the WSDL processor (e.g.
plugging in WSDL 1.1 support).

- A pluggable choice of XML parsing and object representation to support
particular usage
scenarios (e.g. a StAX-based, DOM-free XML model for a runtime application
versus a DOM-based
model for build time tooling).

Initial Source

IBM will donate the WSDL4J source code. Although WSDL4J is the reference
implementation of JSR110
(Java APIs for WSDL), Woden will not be an implementation of JSR110. WSDL4J
is specific to WSDL
1.1 but some of the code and the intellectual property may be reused to
develop a WSDL 2.0
processor.

Resources to be created

Mailing Lists:
       woden-dev
       woden-user

SVN Repository:
       ws-woden

Issue Tracking:
       JIRA

Apache Sponsor

The Champion of the Woden incubator project is Davanum Srinivas
(dims@apache.org).

The Sponsor of Woden is the Apache Web Services PMC.

Initial Committers

Chathura Herath (chathura@opensource.lk, WS-Apache Axis)
Jeremy Hughes (hughesj@apache.org, WSDL4J)
John Kaputin (jakaputin@gmail.com, WSDL4J)
Lawrence Mandel (lmandel@ca.ibm.com, Eclipse Web Tools (WTP) / Eclipse Web
Service Validation

Tools (WSVT) )
Arthur Ryman (arthur.ryman@gmail.com, Eclipse Web Tools (WTP) / W3C WSDL
2.0 Working Group)

Incubator Mentors:
Paul Fremantle (pzf@hursley.ibm.com)
Sanjiva Weerawarana (sanjiva@opensource.lk)

Relevant links:

Eclipse Web Service Validation Tools (WSVT) - http://www.eclipse.org/wsvt
Eclipse Web Tools (WTP) - http://www.eclipse.org/webtools
W3C WSDL 2.0 Working Group - http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/
WSDL4J - http://sourceforge.net/projects/wsdl4j/

Regards,
John Kaputin
Web Services Development
Hursley Laboratory

             Lawrence Mandel
             <lmandel@ca.ibm.c
                                       woden-dev@ws.apache.org
             28/04/2005 17:33                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Pointers to getting started
                 woden-dev

Hi Jaya,

You've come along right at the beginning of the Woden project. You won't
find much on the net as our web page has yet to be setup, we just started
using the mailing list a couple weeks ago, and are targeting next week to
commit code to the SVN repository and pick-up development of the project.

How did you hear about Woden? Do you have a specific use for a WSDL 2.0
parser in mind? Are you interested in contributing to the project?

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@ca.ibm.com

 jayachandra <ja...@gmail.com>

 04/28/2005 11:10 AM                                    woden-dev@ws.apach
                                                        e.org
                                                                        cc
             Please respond to
                 woden-dev                                         Subject