Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Durrant, Peter" <Pe...@COGNOS.com> on 2001/12/20 18:52:18 UTC

Cocoon ESQL stored procedures

I recently posted a question on the cocoon-users mailing list regarding
using ESQL to call stored procedures.

It appears from the reply that we got and the documentation that we've found
that ESQL doesn't support calling stored procedures. As the developers of
Cocoon, could you clarify whether that is correct?

If stored procedures are not supported in ESQL, are there any plans to add
the functionality?

Thanks for your help
Pete
---
Cognos, London, UK

may not use, copy, disseminate, or distribute it; do not open any
attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender by
e-mail promptly that you have done so.  Thank You.

Re: Cocoon ESQL stored procedures

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 21.Dec.2001 -- 11:23 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Christian Haul wrote:
> > On 20.Dec.2001 -- 12:52 PM, Durrant, Peter wrote:
> >
> > > If stored procedures are not supported in ESQL, are there any plans to add
> > > the functionality?
> >
> > Patches are welcome :-) I might look into it the other day but
> > currently there're so many things to do....
>
> Although I am quite busy, too, I would take the time if you
> come up with something decent. (maybe you could at least come up
> with a proposal for the syntax?)

Torsten, Peter,

I had a rather long car journey yesterday - good for thinking about
the problem :-) I suggest to add @direction and @typename to
<esql:parameter/> to mark out / inout parameters (and optionally
@typename for structured types) and make @type mandatory for those
parameters. The rest should be transparent i.e. no other syntax
addition would be needed. Obviously, access to out parameters would
only be possible via column number. I'm currently working on it
(almost done).

Since my laptop only has a winmodem and I develop with linux I will
only be able to upload it after my christmas vaccation.

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: Cocoon ESQL stored procedures

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Christian Haul wrote:
> On 20.Dec.2001 -- 12:52 PM, Durrant, Peter wrote:
> > I recently posted a question on the cocoon-users mailing list regarding
> > using ESQL to call stored procedures.

Well, what you might want to try is to place a "call procedure" inside a statement.
Depends on what you are up to. And this might not be supported on all
databases (guess e.g. Oracle). But maybe this will solve you problem in
the first place.

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 20.Dec.2001 -- 12:52 PM, Durrant, Peter wrote:
> I recently posted a question on the cocoon-users mailing list regarding
> using ESQL to call stored procedures.
>
> It appears from the reply that we got and the documentation that we've found
> that ESQL doesn't support calling stored procedures. As the developers of
> Cocoon, could you clarify whether that is correct?

AFAIK, yes :-)

> If stored procedures are not supported in ESQL, are there any plans to add
> the functionality?

Patches are welcome :-) I might look into it the other day but
currently there're so many things to do....

Actually, I think it's not that hard to do it. The most difficult part
would probably be to come up with a sane syntax for it.

If you can't afford to wait and the other possibilities I pointed out
to you do not work with Oracle, you *might* want to use plain jdbc
inside ESQL (afterall, esql maps to jdbc anyway). But then, that's
probably half way to a working ESQL addition, anyway.

	Chris.