Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com> on 2020/04/03 04:06:48 UTC

[VOTE] Release 2.20.0, release candidate #1

Hi everyone,
Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the version 1.20.0,
as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* JIRA release notes [1],
* the official Apache source release to be deployed to dist.apache.org [2],
which is signed with the key with fingerprint 699A 22D2 D4F0 0AD3 957B  6A88
38B1 C6B4 25EB A67C [3],
* all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
* source code tag "v1.20.0-RC1" [5],
* website pull request listing the release [6], publishing the API
reference manual [7], and the blog post [8].
* Java artifacts were built with Maven MAVEN_VERSION and OpenJDK/Oracle JDK
JDK_VERSION.
TODO: do these versions matter, and are they stamped into the artifacts?
* Python artifacts are deployed along with the source release to the
dist.apache.org [2].
* Validation sheet with a tab for 2.20.0 release to help with validation
[9].
* Docker images published to Docker Hub [10].

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

Thanks,
Release Manager

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12319527&version=12346780
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/beam/2.20.0/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/beam/KEYS
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebeam-1100/
[5] https://github.com/apache/beam/tree/v2.20.0-RC1
[7] https://github.com/apache/beam-site/pull/602
[9]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qk-N5vjXvbcEk68GjbkSZTR8AGqyNUM-oLFo_ZXBpJw/edit#gid=318600984
[10] https://hub.docker.com/search?q=apache%2Fbeam&type=image

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.20.0, release candidate #1

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Just a reminder that for ASF releases we are voting on releasing the
source, the binaries are simply a nice-to-have.

Nevertheless, this is the right call since the majority of users will
use the binaries, not the source. As Steve pointed out, we don't want to
release something broken, even if it is not contained in the source.

We should make sure to notify the release manager when merging
release-critical changes.

-Max

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com>.

Posted by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com>.

Posted by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com>.

Posted by Steve Niemitz <sn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com>.

Posted by Steve Niemitz <sn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com>.

Posted by Steve Niemitz <sn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luke Cwik <lc...@google.com>.

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
Yes, it's in the release branch. My point is that this change is not in the
source release zipfile

unzip -pv staging/apache-beam-2.20.0-source-release.zip
 beam-release-2.20.0/runners/core-java/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/core/SimpleDoFnRunner.java
| cat -n | head -n 1200

and given that likely not in the binary artifacts either.

Posted by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com>.

Posted by Péter Farkas <pe...@aliz.ai>.