Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/10/22 10:14:37 UTC

APR/native with SSL usage questions

I've been doing some further research on the current issues with
WebSockets over HTTPS with the APR/native connector and I have a few
questions.

1. Is concurrent reading and writing from/to the socket supported with SSL?

2. Is non-blocking IO supported with SSL?

Background

The error observed with WebSockets and HTTPs with APR/native appears to
be some form of internal error. My suspicion is that I am triggering
this by using the API an an unexpected / unsupported manner. Therefore,
I'd like to get some clarification of what is supported and what isn't.

Regarding question 1, there appears to be a reduction in error rate if I
prevent concurrent reading and writing. Therefore I suspect that this is
part of the problem.

Regarding question 2, the method that enables non-blocking IO in OpenSSL
is never called.

If the answer to either or both of the questions above is no, I think I
can work around that but before I spend time doing that it would be
helpful to know if I am on the right track with this or if I should be
looking elsewhere for the cause of these issues.

Thanks,

Mark