Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gulay Top <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/28 20:49:13 UTC

Memory requirements

I like to know how much memory does Tomcat 4.1 needs. When I use it it is talking up between 1 to 2 GB of memory. What can I do to reduce this. What are the memory requirements to install Tomcat.

Thank you for your time.

Gulay

Re: Memory requirements

Posted by Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>.
On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 16:17, Cees van de Griend wrote:

> > and there are 27 - 35 instances of it.
>
> This could be correct, does not sound unreasable.
>
> > It takes up close to 1 GB of memory.
>
> This does sound unreasable.
> How did you measure this?

Running just the examples, as was stated earlier, would rule out taking
upwards of a gig of memory. I run a fairly sophisticated web app which
gets roughly 100k hits a day our JVMs rarely take up 50-80meg a piece
(they are 4 JVMs taking roughly 1/4th of the requests).

I would suggest looking at vmstat and doing 'cat /proc/meminfo'. If you
see 1gig+ memory allocation, you can do the math. If you have less then
1gig memory, you should definately see heavy swap usage.

--
Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>
Wellinx.com

Re: Memory requirements

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Cees van de Griend wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 January 2003 21:23, Gulay Top wrote:
> > I'm using Linux. As soon as I start tomcat, an application called java
> > starts,
>
> This is correct.
>
> > and there are 27 - 35 instances of it.
>
> This could be correct, does not sound unreasable.

Those "instances" are *threads*, not *processes*.

> > It takes up close to 1 GB of memory.

No it doesn't.  You'll note that the memory size for all the threads are
the same?  That is because it is the exact same memory space.

Craig

Re: Memory requirements

Posted by Cees van de Griend <cv...@pobox.com>.
On Tuesday 28 January 2003 21:23, Gulay Top wrote:
> I'm using Linux. As soon as I start tomcat, an application called java
> starts,

This is correct.

> and there are 27 - 35 instances of it.

This could be correct, does not sound unreasable.

> It takes up close to 1 GB of memory.

This does sound unreasable.
How did you measure this?

> When I shutdown Tomcat, it goes away. Please help. Thank you in
> advance.
>  Lajos <lm...@galatea.com> wrote:Gulay -

Regards,
Cees.

Re: Memory requirements

Posted by Gulay Top <gu...@yahoo.com>.
I'm using Linux. As soon as I start tomcat, an application called java starts, and there are 27 - 35 instances of it. It takes up close to 1 GB of memory.  When I shutdown Tomcat, it goes away. Please help.
Thank you in advance.
 Lajos <lm...@galatea.com> wrote:Gulay -

It entirely depends on what your webapps use. Tomcat by itself can run
fairly lean - say 20-60 MB of memory. But if your webapp is a hog, like
say Cocoon ;), you'll need a bunch of memory.

Regards,

Lajos

Gulay Top wrote:

> I like to know how much memory does Tomcat 4.1 needs. When I use it it is talking up between 1 to 2 GB of memory. What can I do to reduce this. What are the memory requirements to install Tomcat.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Gulay

Lajos Moczar
Open Source Support, Consulting and Training
Cocoon Developer's Handbook
(www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322579)

_ _____
/ \ /
/___\ /
/ \ /____

http://www.galatea.com -- powered by AzSSL

Re: Memory requirements

Posted by Lajos <lm...@galatea.com>.
Hm, that doesn't make sense. You are sure that it the memory is taken by
the JVM process and not something else? Another thing you could do is
limit the heap size with -Xmx, but I really don't think you need that.
Double check your process memory to verify that it really is Tomcat.

Lajos

--

                    Lajos Moczar
     Open Source Support, Consulting and Training
             Cocoon Developer's Handbook
  (www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322579)

                    _      _____

      http://www.galatea.com -- powered by AzSSL