Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com> on 2013/10/01 11:48:57 UTC

RE: CloudStack Server Memory Requirements

Marcus,

Thanks for the pointer.

After some experimentation, I was able to get the system to function with 1GB or RAM, but no less.

I changed the -XX:PermSize / -XX:MaxPermSize settings from 512 / 800 to 256 / 512.

ORIGINAL
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=45219 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Xmx2g -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/cloudstack/management/ -XX:PermSize=512M -XX:MaxPermSize=800m"

NEW
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=45219 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Xmx2g -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/cloudstack/management/ -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=512m"

I was actually able to drop these values lower, but the CSMAN VM still needs 1GB of RAM regardless so something else must be hogging the RAM.

Whilst this now works with a 1GB Memory Allowance for the CloudStack Management Server, it is still x2 what CloudStack 4.1 needed.

For building test environments on a Laptop in Virtual Box with a separate Host VM such as XenServer 6.2, every MB of RAM is critical.  Fortunately I have lots of real hardware at my disposal but not everyone does hence my quest to be able to build a test environment on a Latptop with only 4GB of RAM.

If anyone on the DEV List has any ideas how we can get CloudStack 4.2 to run on 512 MB of RAM like 4.1 did I would be happy to test their theories.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Don't forget  -Xmx2g ...

-Xmxn Specify the maximum size, in bytes, of the memory allocation
pool. This value must a multiple of 1024 greater than 2MB.

Your total memory used will at most be something like Xmx + MaxPermSize

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.
CloudStack should start and run for a small setup fine with a 256m
heap.  Obviously you should probably run with more in a production
setup.  I'm running the following opts on centos6.4

JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=45219
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Xmx256m
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
-XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/cloudstack/management/ -XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m"

That puts the resident memory around 600mb.  This is obviously a very
minimal setup, if I was to put much load on it the GC would probably
thrash the CPU.

Darren