Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Nandor Kollar <nk...@cloudera.com> on 2018/05/29 10:36:45 UTC

Move Dremel paper to parquet-format

Hi All,

I'm wondering if we can move the Dremel paper to parquet-format wiki. Right
now, every reference to this paper in Github (both parquet-mr and
parquet-format readme) and the website refers to Julien's Github
<https://github.com/julienledem/redelm/wiki/The-striping-and-assembly-algorithms-from-the-Dremel-paper>,
it would be nice if we can make this consistent, and move the mentioned
page to a Github Wiki page inside apache/parquet-format.

Regards,
Nandor

Re: Move Dremel paper to parquet-format

Posted by "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com>.
Hello,

in Arrow we have the website in the main repository [1] as Markdown files. Review is done with patches like any other project. The deployment to the actual Apache servers is done using a separate (magic) git-repo. This is working really nice for us (and also some other Apache projects are also happy with this approach). I would also recommend to use this for Parquet. The only negative point I see is that the deployment is still done manually: a committer needs to run a script locally that builds the site and push the rendered version back to the magic git repo so that site is updated.

Uwe

[1]

Posted by Nandor Kollar <nk...@cloudera.com>.
Moving the details about details, implementation, types etc. to Github is a
good idea. In my opinion the website on parquet.apache.org should provide
just a very high level overview of Parquet with links to Github pages and
contact information.

Nandor

Posted by Zoltan Ivanfi <zi...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,