Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2018/08/20 13:09:32 UTC

[Discuss] Split off root cause analysis from systemready

I just talked with Neil and Todor on the OSGi slack about the need for a
root cause analysis tool for DS and OSGi in general.
We have this inside systemready but it seems like a good idea to have root
cause analysis as an extra bundle so it can also be used in cases where
systemready does not make sense.

So I propose to create a new project that just takes care of root cause
analysis.
For reference: This is the current root cause code.
https://github.com/apache/felix/tree/trunk/systemready/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/systemready/rootcause

WDYT?

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: [Discuss] Split off root cause analysis from systemready

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I think we can use the req ad caps of bundles to give some hints about root
causes .. these are quite coarse though. So for example you can only find a
bundle that exports a service. If you then follow all services it imports
you get a lot of false positives. You will also not find missing configs as
a cause.

For DS we have a lot more possibilities. As we can introspect the
components we can see what services they publish and consume and also if
they need a config to become active.

So  I think it makes a lot of sense to have a special analysis for DS and
this might be true for other technologies too.

Christian

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Re: [Discuss] Split off root cause analysis from systemready

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Re: [Discuss] Split off root cause analysis from systemready

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
I don't see why not :-)

--
Karl Pauls