Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by newpant <ne...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/13 10:07:23 UTC

Re: Available of Intermediate data generated by mappers

Hi, according to Hadoop The Definitive Guide , map will store the
intermediate output to a in-memory buffer first, and the spill it to local
disk which configured by mapred.local.dir, so from i knew, if the
intermediate data lost , only redo can fix it.

if i wrong, please correct me.

Posted by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.
yes, I finally find the corresponding codes

it's in TaskTracker.MapOutputServelet,
doGet()->sendMapFile()->TaskTracker.MapOutputLost()

it's true that the hadoop use redo strategy to solve this problem , but for
some papers, it indicates that we can also replicate the intermediate result
to make it fault-tolerance

Thank you very much

Nan