Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "info@seofirepower.com" <in...@seofirepower.com> on 2016/06/10 21:26:13 UTC

Quick question

Hello,

I have looked all over for the answer to this question and cannot find it on the support forums or google anywhere.

Is there a way to prevent text from spilling/overflowing over into the next cell without wrapping it??

I would like the text to be cut off by default (shown in row 29), without having to re-size the row every single time (like i would have to with row 26).

Is this possible?

Thank you!

Re: Quick question

Posted by Jean Lear <me...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I do not know if this will be the help needed.  I do a lot of work with
Calc and in some columns some of the cells contain text that will
overflow.  I go to the top of the column and highlight the whole column
keep the highlighting on.  Then to to Format > Cells > Alignment > tick in
Wrap Text Automatically > Click OK.
Now anything entered in cells in that column will wrap if the contents are
more than the column width and the row height will adjust automatically.
If there is a cell with contents that are only one line that row height
will not be altered..
Jean

RE: Quick question

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Quick question

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gh...@sbcglobal.net>.

On 06/10/2016 04:45 PM, toki wrote:
> Info wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to prevent text from spilling/overflowing over into the
> next cell
> without wrapping it??
>
> The simplest solution is to make the cell in row 30 contain a blank
> space, with no other glyphs in it.
>
> jonathon

I don't think that will work.  Maybe you mean the cell in the column to
the right of the spilling text cell.  That would truncate it if wrap is
turned off for the spilling cell.  Actually, any data in the next cell
to the right should truncate the spill.  However, it will truncate at
wherever the cell limit is, not between words as in the example, or even
between characters.  That means that a partial word or character may be
seen.

HTH
Girvin Herr

RE: Quick question

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Quick question

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
Put any character (like a space) in the next cell to the right.