Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by tomcat user <to...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/25 17:11:09 UTC

securing directory

Hi all,
I would like to know if anybody can tell me how to restrict web access to my
web app's base directory and its sub directories.
i.e.  webapp "Test1" has a file root.xml  (tomcat\webapps\Test1\root.xml)
While I do need read access programmatically, I need for web users to not
access that file.
I am using an isapi connector through IIS (if that helps).
I do realize that permissions for directories reside in catalina.policy but
that appears to be permissions for programmatic access (i.e. my webapp).  I
am running Tomcat version 5.x.

Thank you for your help.

Re: securing directory

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
If you really really want to it:

Read about exclusion rules in

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/uriworkermap.html

but think twice, if this is robust, i.e. if the web server admin will
have a chance to keep this up-to-date.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: securing directory

Posted by tomcat user <to...@gmail.com>.

RE: securing directory

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: tomcat user [mailto:tomkat.user@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: securing directory
>
> assuming that a file does need to reside directly under
> the webapp folder

Why would you assume that?

> can I secure the webapp directory?

Not readily, since static content comes from there.  You could write a
filter to return an error for a request for a prohibited file.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: securing directory

Posted by tomcat user <to...@gmail.com>.
Chuck,

I appreciate the response, but assuming that a file does need to reside
directly under the webapp folder, can it be hidden from view.  Again, I
understand the alternative, but can I secure the webapp directory?

RE: securing directory

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.