Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> on 2004/05/10 19:21:57 UTC

Re: "mod_perl.c" is not compatible with this version of Apache (found 20020628, need 20020903)

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 12:54, Tim Huffman wrote:
> Here are the versions I have installed:
>

> #rpm -q httpd
>
> httpd-2.0.40-21
>
> httpd-2.0.43-1
>

> # rpm -q mod_perl
>
> mod_perl-1.99_09-1
>

> Any ideas on where to go next? The mod_perl RPM is the latest version
> I have been able to find.

It's pretty old.  Possibly a year old, although I don't recall exactly
when 1.99_09 was released.  When using beta software like mod_perl 2,
you have to be a bit more vigilant about keeping up with releases than
you do with the stable 1.x branch.  I'd suggest you build your own.  If
you need it to be RPMs, make your own RPM based on the source RPM from
1.99_09.

- Perrin

Re: "mod_perl.c" is not compatible with this version of Apache (found 20020628, need 20020903)

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 12:54, Tim Huffman wrote:
>
>>Here are the versions I have installed:
>>

>>#rpm -q httpd
>>
>>httpd-2.0.40-21
>>
>>httpd-2.0.43-1
>>

>># rpm -q mod_perl
>>
>>mod_perl-1.99_09-1
>>

>>Any ideas on where to go next? The mod_perl RPM is the latest version
>>I have been able to find.
>

> It's pretty old.  Possibly a year old, although I don't recall exactly
> when 1.99_09 was released.  When using beta software like mod_perl 2,
> you have to be a bit more vigilant about keeping up with releases than
> you do with the stable 1.x branch.  I'd suggest you build your own.  If
> you need it to be RPMs, make your own RPM based on the source RPM from
> 1.99_09.

In this particular case it's not about being old, but about modperl RPM being
built against one (older) version of Apache, and you're trying to use it
against another (more recent version). But yes, save yourself a lot of trouble
and get the latest Apache and mod_perl and install them from source.

When you see an error message like:

"mod_perl.c" is not compatible with this version of Apache	(found 20020628,
need 20020903)

That means that mod_perl was built against Apache released on or
post-20020628, but you are trying to load it against one released on or
post-20020903.

A properly made RPM must tell you that you don't have the right Apache
installed before allowing you to install itself without forcing.