Posted to users@maven.apache.org by sethcall <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/07 03:05:06 UTC

Re: How to deploy with 'classifier'

I've read this entire thread, and I'm not understanding the point about 'this
is just now how it should be done' vs Billy's 'this is useful and it works'

If using a classifier in the way Billy has is frowned upon... ok... I'll
accept that for a second... but can anyone tell me a* concrete technical
reason* why it will get me into trouble using it this way?

I have another use-case for classifiers--Ivy allows the idea of multiple
artifacts for one ivy.xml file.  But Maven does not.  However,  I limit
myself in using Ivy to only create same-named artifacts with classifiers in
a versioning scheme compatible with Maven, and if I need to create multiple
artifacts from a single pom using classifiers, then I've found a way to use
both Ivy and Maven in a lowest-common denominator way (important for me at
the moment because our team is part Ivy and part Maven).

So my point is... why can't classifiers just be 'arbitrary ways to further
describe a single artifact'?  Can we frown upon any other interpretation?
Can we move the maven community that way now? :)

Thanks,
Seth

Re: How to deploy with 'classifier'

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
One problem with multiple artifacts using classifier is that they will
share the same pom, which makes them all having the same dependency set.
This most often not desirable.

/Anders (mobile)