Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kris Goss <kr...@seedindustries.com> on 2003/10/11 19:00:35 UTC

Administration and svn:ignore

Hi, I'm trying to understand if I can apply the svn:ignore property as an administrator over a repository in order to prevent any user from submitting invalid file types.  Is there a way to enforce this across an entire folder like 'src\' in my repository as the admin?

Thanks,

Kris

Re: Administration and svn:ignore

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Kris Goss" <kr...@seedindustries.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm trying to understand if I can apply the svn:ignore property
> as an administrator over a repository in order to prevent any user
> from submitting invalid file types.  Is there a way to enforce this
> across an entire folder like 'src\' in my repository as the admin?

Not by using svn:ignore.  Svn:ignore is used to prevent recursive
operations from picking up certain patterns, but it can always be
overridden if a user really wants to add that file.

You're better off writing a pre-commit-hook that runs 'svnlook changed
${1} --transaction ${2}' (where $1 and $2 are, as noted in the
pre-commit-hook.tmpl, the repository path and transaction,
respectively), and search in the output for regular expressions like
'/src/.*\.jpg' (or whatever type of file you deem invalid).