Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by ba...@generationjava.com on 2002/02/19 21:56:07 UTC

Dependency question

How do dependencies work withing the Commons project?

More specifically, I would like to make the Collections sub-project
dependent on the Util sub-project. This seems bad for two reasons to me:

1) Unnecessary dependency is scary and should be trod lightly with.
2) Util is sandboxed atm with no sign of promotion.

The things I'm looking to add are:

1) A comparators sub-package containing 7 initial comparators. One of these uses
Soundex, which is in the Util sub-project. There's also a BeanComparator
which I think is very cool, but I think its baggage would replicate too
much code from other Jakarta projects so I need to refactor it probably.
A couple of the comparators are dependant on the registries below.

2) Registry structure. Various types of registry objects, such as
ClassRegistry, SimpleRegistry, ThreadRegistry(replicates ThreadLocal I
think) etc. I've not noticed this type of functionality as another
package.

Or should I just dump the stuff in Util? The great breeding ground for
bogged down components? :)

On that note, how about a Lang sub-project for core-language helpers.
Number/Date/String/Url/File helpers etc.

Bay

Re: Dependency question

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
<ba...@generationjava.com> writes:

> On that note, how about a Lang sub-project for core-language helpers.
> Number/Date/String/Url/File helpers etc.

This is basically what I see Util as, a little bit of java.lang,
java.util, and perhaps java.text.