Posted to dev@senssoft.apache.org by Dave Meikle <dm...@apache.org> on 2018/12/10 14:21:10 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] New Mentors and Apache SensSoft Needs

Thanks Josh, both for the welcome and comprehensive email.

It sounds like we need to try to help get the word out about Sensoft,
probably after the new name is found.

Having had a play in using it in a development environment for a bit, I
think it is a powerful open-source analytics solution.  With some
configuration and visualisations in Elastic it was giving me most of what I
currently use Heap for at a start-up I am involved in.  I had some
challenges getting Tap up and running using Docker, but will spend more
time on it.

Like you, I think some focus on making the system easy to setup and manage
(app registration, user management, custom events and reporting) for those
looking to drop it in for product usability and click path analytics could
really grow the user base.

In terms of growing the commiter base, it may be worth us carving out some
starter tasks/features in JIRA and labelling them as such.  I was also
wondering if it is worth revisiting the roadmaps for each product to make
it clear where the community would like the system to head, so those
looking to help can jump in?

Cheers,
Dave