Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by "Daniel C. Watson" <dc...@email.unc.edu> on 2008/08/13 23:33:19 UTC

Tapestry Portlet Support

Hi,

Im a java web developer working with the University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill.  We're starting a rather large project to implement a
University wide portal, slated right now to be suns java portal.  Ive
been using tapestry, mostly v5 lately, to build web apps for the
university and privately, and have just recently been thrown into the
portlet world.  It seems apparent that portlet support is definitely on
the road map of Tap5, but would there happen to be a more detailed view
of where portlet development falls on y'alls list of priorities?

I realize the development plan for these types of projects are never
carved in stone, but Id like to propose to my co-workers that we begin
considering tapestry (v4 for right now) as a serious candidate for a lot
of our portlet work.  And being able to report that Tap5 would sometime
in the future have portlet support would be a big help in swaying
opinion.  Im perfectly fine with using v4, and moving to 5 as things
develop, just wanted to get a pseudo-official update to pass on to my
co-workers.

On that note a recent patch for the v4.1 portlet support (TAPESTRY-2548)
was *extremely* helpful, as I had noticed the issue myself and was
unable to resolve it.  I'll be trying out the patch in the morning.

Also, If this is the wrong channel for this type of question, please
feel free to direct me elsewhere.

Thanks!

--
Daniel C. Watson
ITS Applications Analyst

Re: Tapestry Portlet Support

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I can't make any big predictions for the short term future, but
Tapestry 5 was designed so that portlet support could be easily
plugged in.  The split that was introduced into Tapestry 4 to support
portlets was designed into Tapestry 5 from the get go.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Daniel C. Watson
<dc...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im a java web developer working with the University of North Carolina at
> Chapel Hill.  We're starting a rather large project to implement a
> University wide portal, slated right now to be suns java portal.  Ive been
> using tapestry, mostly v5 lately, to build web apps for the university and
> privately, and have just recently been thrown into the portlet world.  It
> seems apparent that portlet support is definitely on the road map of Tap5,
> but would there happen to be a more detailed view of where portlet
> development falls on y'alls list of priorities?
>
> I realize the development plan for these types of projects are never carved
> in stone, but Id like to propose to my co-workers that we begin considering
> tapestry (v4 for right now) as a serious candidate for a lot of our portlet
> work.  And being able to report that Tap5 would sometime in the future have
> portlet support would be a big help in swaying opinion.  Im perfectly fine
> with using v4, and moving to 5 as things develop, just wanted to get a
> pseudo-official update to pass on to my co-workers.
>
> On that note a recent patch for the v4.1 portlet support (TAPESTRY-2548) was
> *extremely* helpful, as I had noticed the issue myself and was unable to
> resolve it.  I'll be trying out the patch in the morning.
>
> Also, If this is the wrong channel for this type of question, please feel
> free to direct me elsewhere.
>

> Thanks!
>
> --
> Daniel C. Watson