Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Zoltan Borok-Nagy <bo...@cloudera.com> on 2018/11/05 14:50:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since we last released a minor version of Impala.
3.0.0 is out since May, and since then a couple of pretty cool features and
a good number of improvements are checked in.

I propose that we release 3.1.0 soon and I volunteer to be its release
manager. Please speak up and let the community know if anyone has any
objections to this.

Thanks,
    Zoltan

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Michael Ho <kw...@cloudera.com>.
+1. I concur with Tim that it's safer to leave out this commit
<https://github.com/apache/impala/commit/5391100c7eeb33193de7861e761c3920f1d1eecc>
for
IMPALA-7213 for 3.1 to give it more bake time.

Thanks,
Michael

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:32 AM Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> +1. Thanks for volunteering, Zoltan! Do you concur with Tim about leaving
> out some big recent changes, assuming authors request so?
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:10 AM Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > I know that I and some other people have been pushing to burn down the
> > critical bugs remaining targeted for 3.1 and push out less critical work
> > 3.2 so we will be in a good position to do a release (it's been a while
> > since 3.0!). I have this filter to track the open JIRAs targeted for 3.1:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12345062
> >
> > We should figure out the best branching point. Most of the recent commits
> > should go into the release but there are a few larger changes that we
> might
> > want to take on a case-by-case basis. E.g. I'm not sure if Michael Ho
> wants
> > to give some of the RPC changes more time to bake or not.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tim
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 6:51 AM Zoltan Borok-Nagy <
> boroknagyz@cloudera.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Folks,
> > >
> > > It's been a while since we last released a minor version of Impala.
> > > 3.0.0 is out since May, and since then a couple of pretty cool features
> > and
> > > a good number of improvements are checked in.
> > >
> > > I propose that we release 3.1.0 soon and I volunteer to be its release
> > > manager. Please speak up and let the community know if anyone has any
> > > objections to this.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >     Zoltan

Michael

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.
I think either way is fine.

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>.
I'd say go for it!

Thanks!

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Michael Ho <kw...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Zoltan,

As you may have noticed, the test addressed in IMPALA-7148 was marked as
'xfail' before the fix of IMPALA-4063 so cherry-picking IMPALA-7148 should
have no material effect to that test without IMPALA-4063.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Zoltan Borok-Nagy <bo...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

Michael:
Thanks, I missed that. I reverted IMPALA-7148 since it is targeted for
3.2.0 and doesn't have any effect without IMPALA-4063.

Alexandra:
Unfortunately I cannot see the image you attached.
Anyway, I also counted 10 new doc commits targeted for 3.1.0:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=impala.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/branch-3.1.0
7d3e9be [DOCS] Copy edits in impala_custom_timezones
9749096 [DOCS] A number of typos were fixed in impala_dedicated_coordinator
3d1afb4 IMPALA-7233: [DOCS] Support for IANA timezone database
df6e92f IMPALA-7815: [DOCS] Release notes for 3.1
3ec779a IMPALA-7861: [DOCS] TLS enabled by default regardless of URI scheme
0d5b5d4 [DOCS] Added a note in impala_scan_bytes_limit.xml
f5348d4 IMPALA-7836: [DOCS] Format changes in impala_topn_bytes_limit.xml
bd573d1 IMPALA-7634: [DOCS] Document the new SHUTDOWN statement
8872e8b IMPALA-7836: [DOCS] Document TOPN_BYTES_LIMIT query option
174ac2f IMPALA-7806: [DOCS] Updated Known Issues in 3.1

So I moved forward to do the RC1, I'll send a [VOTE] mail about it shortly.
*If anyone has objections about the release candidate*, e.g. you want to
add/remove a commit, you can vote with -1 on the RC1.

Thanks,
    Zoltan

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Alexandra Rodoni <ar...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Zoltan Borok-Nagy <bo...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Folks,

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Alexandra Rodoni <ar...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Zoltan Borok-Nagy <bo...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Folks,

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Zoltan Borok-Nagy <bo...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release

Posted by Gabor Kaszab <ga...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Zoli!

Just a quick comment about the technical part: Isn't it possible to do an
interactive git rebase (-i option) and then you can mark the unwanted
commits as 'drop' in the commit list.

Cheers,
Gabor

Re: [DISCUSS] 3.1.0 release