Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/09/26 07:55:42 UTC

Stanbol graduation press release

Hi,

If someone's interested in leading that, it's possible to do a press
release + foundation blog post about Stanbol's graduation.

See https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_announces25
for an example, such announcements can be coordinated by sending a
draft to press@apache.org for review and then publishing.

-Bertrand

Re: Stanbol graduation press release

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

thanks! The final press release is now online at http://s.apache.org/ul1

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Stanbol graduation press release

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Fabian,

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

I have worked together with John Pereira from the IKS project on a
draft for a press release. John helped to get some quotes from early
adopters using Stanbol. Thanks!

Please, find the draft below. My plan would be to submit it to
press@apache.org for publishing tomorrow.

Best,
 - Fabian

The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Stanbol as a Top-Level Project

Apache Stanbol provides a set of reusable components for semantic
content management.

Forest Hill, MD --The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the
all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 Open
Source projects and initiatives, today announced that Apache Stanbol
has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project
(TLP), signifying that the Project’s community and products have been
well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

Apache Stanbol's intended use is to extend traditional content
management systems with semantic services. It offers semantic services
for automatic content enhancement, a process where plain text is
automatically enriched with meta-data, e.g. about persons, places and
organizations, from external data sources. Customized enhancement
engines and process chains can be designed for user specific
enhancement tasks. That makes Apache Stanbol a framework for automatic
content annotation and linking.

"The graduation also acknowledges the success of Apache Stanbol in
bringing together the communities of semantic technologies and content
management," explained Fabian Christ, Vice President of Apache
Stanbol.

Providing reusable components that can be used to enhance content
automatically, is an important step in lifting existing content to a
level that makes it more useable for all kinds of tasks, including a
better search experience. Adding meta-data to content and linking the
content to other existing resources, adds the kind of value that could
make the difference in many industrial use cases.

"Searchbox is leveraging the Stanbol framework for the Fusepool
project as the core framework for processing unstructured and plain
text information sources," explained Stéphane Gamard from Searchbox.
"Thanks to Stanbol, different information sources can be processed,
semantically enhanced and delivered to a front-end web application for
an intuitive and advanced user experience."

Since entering the Apache Incubator in November 2010 (Apache Stanbol
was initiated by the part European Union funded project IKS
http://www.iks-project.eu), Stanbol has been quickly embraced as an
ideal framework that makes semantic technologies useable for
developers of content management systems. The Project provides a set
of predefined enhancement engines including engines for language
detection, named entity recognition, and engines for linking entities
to linked open data (LOD) sources like DBPedia or geonames.org.

"CELI France, thanks to the integration with Stanbol, we were able to
integrate our curriculum vitae (CV) parsing technology with main
stream open source document management system, said Luca Dini from
CELI. "Moreover the final user experience was empowered by automatic
linking with external LOD sources, which allowed true semantic
reasoning over information linguistically extracted from CVs".

Availability and Oversight
Apache Stanbol software is released under the Apache License v2.0, and
is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the
project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's
day-to-day operations, including community development and product
releases. Apache Stanbol source code, documentation, mailing lists,
and related resources are available at http://stanbol.apache.org/. A
timeline of the project's history through graduation from the Apache
Incubator is also available.

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one
hundred fifty leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP
Server — the world's most popular Web server software. Through the
ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 350
individual Members and 3,000 Committers successfully collaborate to
develop freely available enterprise-grade software, benefiting
millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are
distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively
participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and
ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and
expo. The ASF is a US 501(3)(c) not-for-profit charity, funded by
individual donations and corporate sponsors including AMD, Basis
Technology, Cloudera, Facebook, Google, IBM, HP, Hortonworks, Matt
Mullenweg, Microsoft, PSW Group, SpringSource/VMware, and Yahoo!. For
more information, visit http://www.apache.org/.

"Apache", "Apache Stanbol", and "ApacheCon" are trademarks of The
Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt