Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Doe <mo...@hotmail.com> on 2004/07/19 18:02:13 UTC

Tomcat 5: how do you set up logging as a stand-alone webserver?

I would like to use Tomcat 5 as a stand-alone webserver (ie NOT with
Apache). Can anyone point me in the right direction to the appropriate
documentation? I got the O'Reilly Definitive Guide (which covers Tomcat 4,
but I assume from a management point of view there is little difference
between that and 5), and in there it shows how to dump detailed HTTP traffic
using the RequestDumperValve. But this is clearly overkill!

What I would like is to generate the sort of logs that the Apache webserver
creates (ie its access and error logs). It seems the logs you get by default
only push out Java stack traces. I would like to be able to see who is
trying to connect to the Tomcat server, their web/IP address and the URL
they are using (there are doubtless script-kiddies out there who are
determined to blow my webserver away, and I can't seem to pick this info
up!).

I'm sure my answer is staring me in the face, but I can't just see what it
is!

Thanks,

Joe.

Re: Tomcat 5: how do you set up logging as a stand-alone webserver?

Posted by "Daniel J. Obregon" <da...@mail.obregon.us>.
Add a line similar to the following to your application Context.

        debug="0"
        directory="logs"
        prefix="MyOwnLogFile."
        suffix=".log"