Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com> on 2007/10/16 11:54:24 UTC

What happens when someone commits while a multi-project is building ?

Hello,

I'm working with Continuum 1.1-beta-3.

I have a multi-project configured as a project group in Continuum, ie
I can see 1 continuum project per Maven project.

I setup a build scheduled each day at 11am. The complete build lasts 25min.

Today, someone commited severals files in several projects during the
build (at 11:15).

Of course, projects already built were OK, but projects built after
commit were updated by Continuum and built with errors ! They needed
new files in projects already built by Continuum and so not updated.

Is it a bug/feature ? Continuum should not update a project from SCM
if a commit appears during a build.

Thanks

Damien

Re: What happens when someone commits while a multi-project is building ?

Posted by Stuart James Penrose <st...@penrose.us>.
Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> Damien Lecan a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm working with Continuum 1.1-beta-3.
>>
>> I have a multi-project configured as a project group in Continuum, ie
>> I can see 1 continuum project per Maven project.
>>
>> I setup a build scheduled each day at 11am. The complete build lasts
>> 25min.
>>
>> Today, someone commited severals files in several projects during the
>> build (at 11:15).
>>
>> Of course, projects already built were OK, but projects built after
>> commit were updated by Continuum and built with errors ! They needed
>> new files in projects already built by Continuum and so not updated.
>>
>> Is it a bug/feature ? Continuum should not update a project from SCM
>> if a commit appears during a build.
>
> It isn't a bug, when Continuum build a module, it can't know files
> updated in the current module require some modified files in other
> modules.
> When other modules will be rebuilt (due to changes in their scm) the
> current module will be rebuilt too.
>
> If you don't want one project in continuum by module, but only the
> parent project, remove all modules and remove the --non-recursive
> parameter on the build definition.

Since we're on the subject, it might be worth noting the following: I
tried doing that on our main multimodule project when I first switched
to 1.1 (b3), since that's how we had it setup under 1.0.3 and it worked
great.  However, I noticed that when I did that in 1.1, the
'dependencies' listed for the resulting single consolidated continuum
project were only those of the parent project itself.  In other words,
where parent project A has essentially no dependencies, and module A1
has many dependencies (many of which are also being build in continuum),
the downside to this seems to be that continuum looses some dependency
awareness (it doesn't re-build project A when A1's dependencies change).

Emannuel, does this sound right, or am I missing something?

Stu

Re: What happens when someone commits while a multi-project is building ?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Damien Lecan a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I'm working with Continuum 1.1-beta-3.
>
> I have a multi-project configured as a project group in Continuum, ie
> I can see 1 continuum project per Maven project.
>
> I setup a build scheduled each day at 11am. The complete build lasts 25min.
>
> Today, someone commited severals files in several projects during the
> build (at 11:15).
>
> Of course, projects already built were OK, but projects built after
> commit were updated by Continuum and built with errors ! They needed
> new files in projects already built by Continuum and so not updated.
>
> Is it a bug/feature ? Continuum should not update a project from SCM
> if a commit appears during a build.

It isn't a bug, when Continuum build a module, it can't know files updated in the current module require some modified files in other modules.
When other modules will be rebuilt (due to changes in their scm) the current module will be rebuilt too.

If you don't want one project in continuum by module, but only the parent project, remove all modules and remove the --non-recursive parameter on the build definition.

Emmanuel