Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Zsolt Koppany <zk...@web.de> on 2002/11/05 15:18:57 UTC

Why does the nightly build produces a huge log file during startup?

Hi,

I have copied the latest nightly build and after extraction I copied
jakarta-struts/webapps into the tomcat -4.1.12 webapps directory. It takes a
very long time to start tomcat (it was not the case before I installed
struts) and a huge log file (100Mb) was created (I redirect stderr and stdout
into a log4j file). I find a log file with the size pretty unuseful because
this is just the initialization.

How can I decrease the amount the information? I don't know whether this is
realistic but I would not like to get more that a couple of Kb after startup.

Zsolt

Re: Why does the nightly build produces a huge log file during startup?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Is your application really large?  (Lots of actions etc?)
Do your classes print a lot of debugging output?
Have you tried configuring Log4J so "tone-down" the amount of output?
 (see the log4j site about how to configure log4j)

I don't understand why you have so much being logged unless you simply
have a lot of logging output being generated.  If it is system.out
stuff, you're fu-bared (that's a technical term).  If you were smart and
used commons-logging you can control it by setting up a reasonable
log4j.properties file and adjusting the debug levels appropriately.

By setting up your log4j.properties file, you could conceivably
configure it so that you got 0kb of output on startup.  I imagine the
logging is what's causing it to start slow too.

--
Eddie Bush