Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sina Fakhraee <dx...@wayne.edu> on 2011/10/12 23:26:53 UTC

Error loading class 'solr.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler'

Dear Sir/Mam,

I am trying to use curl "http://localhost:8080/solr/update/extract?literal.id=doc1&commit=true" -F "myfile=@somefile.pdf" from the wiki site... but I get the error cause by:
Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class 'solr.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler'

With the jetty and the provided example, I have no problem. It all happens when I use tomcat and solr.

My setup is as follows:

I downloaded the apache-solr-3.3.0 and unpacked it....I am using "apache-solr-3.3.0" folder as my solr-home folder. Inside the "dist" folder I have the apache-solr-3.3.0.war and coppied everything from the contrib/extraction/lib into dist.

I would greatly appreciate it if you can possibly point me to the right direction. I have read everything on the wiki page and the documentation but no luck!

regards,
Sina

--

Sina Fakhraee , PhD  candidate
Department of Computer Science

RE: Error loading class 'solr.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler'

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.
It sounds like maybe you either have not told Solr where the Solr home directory is, or , more likely, have not copied the jar files for this particular class into the right directory (typically a "lib" directory) so Tomcat cannot find that class.  There is other correspondence on this list that you can look for that discusses the options for defining the Solr home directory.

JRU

Re: Can you please guide me through step-by-step installation of Solr Cell ?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class 'solr.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler'
:
: With the jetty and the provided example, I have no problem. It all happens when I use tomcat and solr.
:
: My setup is as follows:
:
: I downloaded the apache-solr-3.3.0 and unpacked it....I am using
: "apache-solr-3.3.0" folder as my solr-home folder. Inside the "dist"
: folder I have the apache-solr-3.3.0.war and coppied everything from the
: contrib/extraction/lib into dist.

just copying jars into "dist" isn't going to make things magically work
for you -- what matters is that your solr instance knows how to find those
plugin jars.  when you use the example jetty instance, the solrconfig.xml
file has <lib> directives with relative paths that indicate where to find
them.  If you use a differnet "solr home" dir and/or move files arround
then those <lib> directives are no longer going to work...

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPlugins#How_to_Load_Plugins
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrConfigXml#lib

-Hoss

Can you please guide me through step-by-step installation of Solr Cell ?

Posted by Sina Fakhraee <dx...@wayne.edu>.
Dear Sir/Mam,

I am trying to use curl "http://localhost:8080/solr/update/extract?literal.id=doc1&commit=true" -F "myfile=@somefile.pdf" from the wiki site... but I get the error cause by:
Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class 'solr.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler'

With the jetty and the provided example, I have no problem. It all happens when I use tomcat and solr.

My setup is as follows:

I downloaded the apache-solr-3.3.0 and unpacked it....I am using "apache-solr-3.3.0" folder as my solr-home folder. Inside the "dist" folder I have the apache-solr-3.3.0.war and coppied everything from the contrib/extraction/lib into dist.

I would greatly appreciate it if you can possibly point me to the right direction. I have read everything on the wiki page and the documentation but no luck!

Can you please guide me through step-by-step usgae of Solr Cell installation?

regards,
Sina