Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by bbarani <bb...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/04 21:52:02 UTC

How to update a distributed index?

Hi,

We are maintaining multiple SOLR index, one for each source (the source data
is too huge to be stored in a single index) and we are using shards to do a
distributed search across all the SOLR index.

We also update the SOLR documents (which was already indexed) using XML push

http://server:8983/solr/db/update?stream.body=<add><doc><field
name="related_uid">6-DSTR-tx2sbtco01-INTCSTP-INTCSTP-Oracle</field><</doc></add>

http://server:8983/solr/db/update?stream.body=<commit/>

Now since there are multiple index being maintained, is there a way to push
this XML to a particular index based on type?

Each index maintains the SOLR document corresponding to each type. For eg:
index 1 stored documents (type) , index 2 stores (pictures).

If I send a XML (which will contain the type as one of the attributes) and
if it has documents as the value it should be pushed to index 1 and if it
has pictures it should be pushed to index 2.

Is there a way to update the index using shards?

Any suggestions / ideas would be of great help for me.

Thanks,
Barani

Re: How to update a distributed index?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Even with the sharded index you typically go to the master(s) that has/have all
your shards and update the appropriate shard (in your case, based on the doc
type).

Otis
----