Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu> on 2012/05/08 02:11:20 UTC

Re: Graduation

Hi,

May I ask what are the benefits of "graduation" for VCL?
How does graduation change the way the VCL is used?

I apologize if these are trivial questions.

Thanks.
--
Dmitri Chebotarov
Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging

Re: Graduation

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
My thoughts exactly. Thanks to each of you for your advice and mentoring.

Best Regards,
Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: Graduation

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: Graduation

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Graduation

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 12, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

>> To record my perspective -- I will support graduation as a TLP. I do not, however, intend to continue my participation in the community. I may monitor mailing lists from time-to-time, but do not wish to be a committer/PMC member.
>
> I too think its time and support graduation to TLP.  Kevan also represents my intention wrt to involvement.

It's customary for a mentor to stay on for a quarter or two to monitor the project and make sure that there's a smooth transition.  It's not clear to me that this is the role that you and Kevan intend to fulfill.  If so, great.  If not, I can hang around until the apron strings are fully cut.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Graduation

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

> To record my perspective -- I will support graduation as a TLP. I do not, however, intend to continue my participation in the community. I may monitor mailing lists from time-to-time, but do not wish to be a committer/PMC member.

I too think its time and support graduation to TLP.  Kevan also represents my intention wrt to involvement.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

A Day Without Nuclear Fusion Is a Day Without Sunshine

Re: Graduation

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 8, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Andy Kurth wrote:

> Graduating will not and should not change the way VCL is used or how
> the community operates.  Upon successful graduation, there are some
> administrative tasks that need to be done but the day-to-day community
> activity shouldn't change.  I think this is the main point for the
> whole process.  Once the community demonstrates that it is diverse,
> viable, and aligned with the ASF philosophy and policies, it graduates
> and continues to operate in the same manner.

Well put Aaron and Andy.

Process-wise -- currently the Apache Incubator PMC is performing oversight of the VCL project. After graduation as a Top Level Project, the VCL PMC will be in charge of this oversight. This reduces some administrative bureaucracy, but also increases the importance of the oversight provided by the VCL PMC (responsibilities they are already fulfilling). Incubation is not permanent and must end with either graduation or retirement. VCL is quite old by Incubation standards, but we've reached a good place.

Re: Graduation

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Good explanation Aaron.

Regarding the benefits of graduating -- I don't know if there are any
tangible benefits but in my opinion there are some intangible
benefits:
- The Apache brand is pretty well-known and prestigious.  They don't
accept just any old open-source project as an official project, let
alone as a podling.  We will be in very good company with the other
ASF projects.
- Graduating and becoming a top-level project will help promote Apache
VCL.  I'm hopeful that VCL adoption and the growth of our development
community will accelerate.
- We don't have to pack up and find a new home elsewhere :)

Graduating will not and should not change the way VCL is used or how
the community operates.  Upon successful graduation, there are some
administrative tasks that need to be done but the day-to-day community
activity shouldn't change.  I think this is the main point for the
whole process.  Once the community demonstrates that it is diverse,
viable, and aligned with the ASF philosophy and policies, it graduates
and continues to operate in the same manner.

-Andy

Re: Graduation

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Dmitri,