Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/20 06:14:56 UTC

Copying resource files - what for?

Hi George,

Some time ago we agreed to copy resource files to classpath (i.e. bin/test
directory). I saw that you added corresponing targets to build files. But
now I realized that I don't understand why we should copy them instead of
simply adding resource directory (i.e. src/test/resources) to classpath. May
be there are simple reasons to do this that I don't know but anyway ... so
why we have to copy thousands of files (there is no doubt that in future we
will have thousands of resource files) each time we run tests?
Thanks,
Stepan Mishura
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: Copying resource files - what for?

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 4/20/06, George Harley wrote:

> Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > On 4/20/06, George Harley wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Stepan,
> >>
> >> As I recall it ( I've not my morning coffee yet so it could get a bit
> >> unreliable here :-) ) the motivation for wanting resource files on the
> >> classpath was to enable serialization data files to be read in by test
> >> programs without depending on specific file locations. Copying such
> >> serialization data files to a bin location prior to running the tests
> >> obviously gets them on the classpath in a very simple way.
> >>

> > Yes, but we get the same if we just add resource directory to classpath
> -
> > that is simpler then copying.
> >

> Hi Stepan,
>
> You are saying that the source folder containing the resources should be
> added as an extra classpath entry when running the tests.

Yes.

> I prefer only
> having "output folders" (e.g. bin folders) on the classpath so I copy
> the resources across. Both approaches seem fine to me. At least one
> popular Java IDE gives developers the option to send compiler output to
> either the source directory or to a separate output folder.

I just tried to understand why you choose "copying apporoach". What are
reasons to copy resource files instead of "adding extra classpath entry"?

> > The documentation for the Ant copy task states that that "files are only
> >
> >> copied if the source file is newer than the destination file". I
> >> interpret that as meaning that we should not expect to see the copying
> >> of thousands of files each time we run the tests.
> >>

> > But the build removes 'bin' directory during clean up so all copied
> resource
> > files are removed too.
> >

> What bin directory do you mean here ?

<module root>/bin/main
and
 <module root>/bin/test

Thanks,
Stepan.

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 4/20/06, George Harley wrote:
>
>> Hi Stepan,
>>
>> As I recall it ( I've not my morning coffee yet so it could get a bit
>> unreliable here :-) ) the motivation for wanting resource files on the
>> classpath was to enable serialization data files to be read in by test
>> programs without depending on specific file locations. Copying such
>> serialization data files to a bin location prior to running the tests
>> obviously gets them on the classpath in a very simple way.
>>

> Yes, but we get the same if we just add resource directory to classpath -
> that is simpler then copying.

Hi Stepan,

You are saying that the source folder containing the resources should be
added as an extra classpath entry when running the tests. I prefer only

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Stepan,

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 4/20/06, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:14:56AM +0700, Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > Some time ago we agreed to copy resource files to classpath (i.e. bin/test
> > directory). I saw that you added corresponing targets to build files. But
> > now I realized that I don't understand why we should copy them instead of
> > simply adding resource directory (i.e. src/test/resources) to classpath. May
> > be there are simple reasons to do this that I don't know but anyway ... so
> > why we have to copy thousands of files (there is no doubt that in future we
> > will have thousands of resource files) each time we run tests?
>
> mostly unrelated, but another reason to do the <copy/> is that you get the
> benefit of Ant's filters and file munging when you need it (eg to replace
> @@VERSION@@ in a property file with for example the current SVN revision).
>
> I suspect that's why copying resource files became common practice years ago,
> and why ant's mechanism for doing copies is so blazingly efficient (really.
> Sometimes it beats rsync).

and sometimes it doesn't ...
  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200604.mbox/%3cfcb9f9160604140221y63fb497foe52e273070fe16dc@mail.gmail.com%3e

;-)

-Mark.

--
Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>
IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.

Re: Copying resource files - what for?

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hi gang,

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:14:56AM +0700, Stepan Mishura wrote:
> Some time ago we agreed to copy resource files to classpath (i.e. bin/test
> directory). I saw that you added corresponing targets to build files. But
> now I realized that I don't understand why we should copy them instead of
> simply adding resource directory (i.e. src/test/resources) to classpath. May
> be there are simple reasons to do this that I don't know but anyway ... so
> why we have to copy thousands of files (there is no doubt that in future we
> will have thousands of resource files) each time we run tests?

mostly unrelated, but another reason to do the <copy/> is that you get the
benefit of Ant's filters and file munging when you need it (eg to replace
@@VERSION@@ in a property file with for example the current SVN revision).

I suspect that's why copying resource files became common practice years ago,
and why ant's mechanism for doing copies is so blazingly efficient (really.
Sometimes it beats rsync).

cheers!

Leo

Re: Copying resource files - what for?

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
George Harley wrote:
> Paulex Yang wrote:
>> Stepan
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> I just proposed similar modification to classpath of each modules in
>> another thread, which will make the IDE(Eclipse at least) user easier
>> to run test.
>
> Hi Paulex,
>
> Your proposed modification to the Eclipse .classpath file doesn't add
> src/test/resources to the classpath.
Ah, you are right, George, I misunderstood Stepan just now. Sorry for
the confusion  caused.

> Best regards,
> George
>

>> Stepan Mishura wrote:
>>> Hi George,
>>>
>>> Some time ago we agreed to copy resource files to classpath (i.e.
>>> bin/test
>>> directory). I saw that you added corresponing targets to build
>>> files. But
>>> now I realized that I don't understand why we should copy them
>>> instead of
>>> simply adding resource directory (i.e. src/test/resources) to
>>> classpath. May
>>> be there are simple reasons to do this that I don't know but anyway
>>> ... so
>>> why we have to copy thousands of files (there is no doubt that in
>>> future we
>>> will have thousands of resource files) each time we run tests?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Stepan Mishura
>>> Intel Middleware Products Division

Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab
IBM

Re: Copying resource files - what for?

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 4/20/06, George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > I suspect inclusion of the resource files (with path renaming) could
> > be handled by a zip/tar task rather than by copying every time the
> > tests are run.  So I don't think this is a good reason.
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Mark.
> >

> Hi Mark,
>
> The resource files don't get copied every time the tests are run. The
> Ant copy task only does it if the destination file is stale with respect
> to the source.
>
> You are really proposing that an Ant copy be replaced with a zip/tar
> task ? How often will the resultant archive be refreshed ? If an entry
> is stale with respect to the source ? Hang on, that sounds familiar....

No.  This was a response to Mikhail's message about a single
downloadable binary image.  That would already have a tar/zip
task which could include the resource files from src without needing
an additional copy task.

I was merely point out the requirement for a downloadable binary did
really make any difference to the argument about copying (or not) the
resource files.

Regards,
 Mark.

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Sorry, I misunderstood your append. Please ignore my response. I really
need to go for a coffee :-)

Best regards,
George

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
I think it is rather dangerous way: some people will test when resources
are in src/ while others - when they are moved to bin by tar or something else

So if we want to have a single binary image we have to create it first
(by copying
resources)

Thanks,
Mikhail