Posted to dev@echarts.apache.org by Yi Shen <sh...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/25 13:02:36 UTC

[INFO] Rewrite the document page to improve the user experience

Hi,

The document page of echarts has been complained about bad user experience
for a very long time. There are some main reasons I can think of.

1. The page will load a whole option.json. It can take a very long time on
a bad network. In the Google Page Insight test, it only scores 58 on
desktop[1]

2. The scrollbar on the page is a js component. It's hard to do searching
on the page.

3. The hierarchy on the right is not so clear. Some of our developers even
don't know the card can't be expanded to get more information.

4. The MOST important is the missing of fuzzy search. I created a JIRA
ticket to describe it before[2]

So I forked from the original repo and started rewriting the whole document
page two weeks ago. The latest code is in the
https://github.com/pissang/incubator-echarts-doc . You can preview it on
https://pissang.github.io/incubator-echarts-doc/public/en/option.html#title

In the new version, I did the following improvements to try to solve the
problems.

1. Separate the JSON and only load the necessary content. The score can be
95 on Google Page Insight after optimized.

2. Use native scrollbar to support browser searching on the page.

3. Optimize UI of document content on the right. The hierarchy is more
clear. Also the first level will be expanded by default so developers can
find most of the information by simply searching on the page.

4. Add full-text search support.

Basically, all the improvements are focused on helping developers getting
what they needed more conveniently.

The new document will be merged and integrated into the official website
when all the PPMC agree it's ready to be published.

[1]
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fecharts.apache.org%2Fzh%2Foption.html%23title&tab=desktop

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ECHARTS-10

[3]
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpissang.github.io%2Fincubator-echarts-doc%2Fpublic%2Fen%2Foption.html%23title&tab=desktop

--
Yi Shen
Apache ECharts(incubating) PPMC

Re: [INFO] Rewrite the document page to improve the user experience

Posted by Yi Shen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Just created a JIRA ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ECHARTS-12

Posted by siwen su <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yi: