Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Geoffrey De Smet <ge...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/11 17:20:03 UTC

Re: [vote] Attempt 3: Release maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-1 -> lock down of plugin versions

>>  "they need to specify versions for all of their plugins in the POM"
>
> We can't do this in 2.0.x but it needs to be mandatory in 2.1.

Good! :)

In my experience with spring-richclient most of the problems of an
instable build went away the day I locked down all versions.

However you could do 2 things to make our lives easier:

1) Bundle a bunch of plugins together in a version so we can just
specify that bundle.
Say for example "we use plugin-bundle 2.0.6" (which means we use
assembly 2.0, site 2.0-beta5, ...).
Of course it should be possible to make an exception on a single plugin
in that bundle to give it another version anyway.

Plugin-bundles would allow you to test more thoroughly if all plugins
work together nicely.

2) A site report (and maybe also a mvn cmd) to receive a list of all
plugins which can be updated. (This would be very welcome for
dependencies too btw.)

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet

Re: [vote] Attempt 3: Release maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-1 -> lock down of plugin versions

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
The idea originally was that LATEST might refer to a snapshot release, but
that RELEASE was the latest plugin release. Of course, all of this
completely ignores any notion of versions that have implications for
backward compatibility. In the Maven 2.0.x, all plugin releases are assumed
to be minor/point releases of the same major version.

-john

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@gmail.com>.