Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/18 17:04:20 UTC

no communication ? signs of a dying project

I've tried to get things going on documentation (probably the biggest
reason couchdb is not more popular) - I put an initial outline forward -
then nothing - no response.  this is not how to build a successful
contributor community.  Certainly not like active great projects like
nodejs, inkscape, ....

I read somewhere that Apache Foundation is where projects go to die.  I
hope this is not the case with couchdb but if there is no communication
and no community, the project will die.   Perhaps there is a small team
that is being sponsored and trying to do it themselves, but it will not
progress fast enough (and disregards the whole idea of why open source
works).  Let's move this forward - let's have some communication!

Re: no communication ? signs of a dying project

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> Thanks for caring about CouchDB.
>
> On Sep 18, 2012, at 17:04 , john.tiger <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've tried to get things going on documentation (probably the biggest reason couchdb is not more popular) - I put an initial outline forward - then nothing - no response.
>
> That’s because the team had been working on https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/docs before your post. Noah had
> alluded to that in the thread that was brought over to dev@.

Also, the JIRA issue for the docs import is here:

Re: no communication ?

Posted by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 09/18/2012 09:25 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> Also, from experience, the best chance to get things moving here is
> starting, and showing some work. This usually gets other people
> excited and contributing. Like everywhere else :)

thks for fast communication:)

sure, I'm just trying to get us involved - okay, thks for links (and
Paul too)  - I just downloaded snapshot and xml - will try to get some
contribs forwarded - especially from the developer standpoint

Re: no communication ? signs of a dying project

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Dear John,

Posted by Octavian Damiean <ma...@gmail.com>.
I'd like t add that if you can't figure out yourself how to help then ask
on IRC or the mailing list. :)

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
As a follow up...

Posted by Tim McNamara <pa...@timmcnamara.co.nz>.
On 19 September 2012 22:19, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM, john.tiger <jo...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> but it will not progress fast enough
>

> For what?

Isn't it obvious? For the imminent Mongo deathmatch.

Re: no communication ? signs of a dying project

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.