Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> on 2014/02/06 09:42:01 UTC

[ApacheDS] loading controls and extended operations

I find this very frustrating that we went ahead accepting the idea of
the classification of 'default' and 'extras' within those shipped by the
server.

Trust me, this is a PITA, and we all know that.

IMHO all the controls/extendedops supported by server should be loaded by
default.
If it is shipped with the server we _must_ activate it by default.

And keep this property based loading mechanism hoping that a LDAP _user_
might implement his own control and configure in the server before the
apocalypse.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [ApacheDS] loading controls and extended operations

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 2/6/14 9:42 AM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> I find this very frustrating that we went ahead accepting the idea of
> the classification of 'default' and 'extras' within those shipped by the
> server.
>
> Trust me, this is a PITA, and we all know that.
>
> IMHO all the controls/extendedops supported by server should be loaded by
> default.
> If it is shipped with the server we _must_ activate it by default.
>
> And keep this property based loading mechanism hoping that a LDAP _user_
> might implement his own control and configure in the server before the
> apocalypse.

I must admit that I agree with Kiran here.

Controls and extended operations ar etighly linked with the server
internals : you won't just add a control without modifying the logic of
the server to deal with the control.

Although we have to get more involved in OSGi, except that we don't have
time atm.

So my +1 to Kiran suggestion, and when we can spend some time to
understand the ins and outs of OSGi, we will rethink the full logic.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com