Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com> on 2007/04/21 06:59:36 UTC

Post Branch Enhancements (was Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

I sense this discussion may be hijacking Karl's thread, thus the
subject change.  Karl's proposal looks very interesting and deserves
its own thread.

<trying to turn this to constructive dialog>
Jonathon, which enhancement are you speaking of that hasn't had the
opportunity to be reviewed sufficiently?

As soon as the formal vote concludes on the branch, I'm sure there will
be a lot of dialog about direction and features and approaches to bug
fixes in the coming days and weeks.

If someone replies to this, please cut of the (was...) in the subject

Re: Post Branch Enhancements (Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Jonathon,

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I don't know offhand which enhancements (currently on Jira) are not
> reviewed. I only know those I have with me.

What are these enhancements? Are they in Jira?

> I feel we should never let newcomers (or even old timers) hear something
> like "please dump your stuff in that corner, and we'll get to it in
> time". No, not that we'd be rude. Just that we'd lose that contribution!
> We're on the receiving end, so I suggest we start begging for the
> contribution instead.

Who said this? Jira is not a 'corner', it's the main (and only, for non
committers) channel for accepting a contribution.

> Being reasonably experienced/adept with version control systems
> (SVN/CVS), I can't see why we can't have someone perform a wholesale
> merge (to resolve incompatibilities) on a "crazy, no holds barred branch".

I think it's funny that, because you don't like Jira, you are proposing
to make everyone a committer.

Jacopo

Re: Post Branch Enhancements (Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Chris,

I don't know offhand which enhancements (currently on Jira) are not reviewed. I only know those I
have with me.

I feel we should never let newcomers (or even old timers) hear something like "please dump your
stuff in that corner, and we'll get to it in time". No, not that we'd be rude. Just that we'd lose
that contribution! We're on the receiving end, so I suggest we start begging for the contribution
instead.

Being reasonably experienced/adept with version control systems (SVN/CVS), I can't see why we
can't have someone perform a wholesale merge (to resolve incompatibilities) on a "crazy, no holds
barred branch".

Then we may ask, "ok, so who's gonna test that crazy branch and deem it adequately
compatilibized/merged to be patched back into trunk"? That's why I'm guessing that our
(contributors') main motivation for donating codes is to have the latest and greatest of OFBiz
work with our tested enhancements. The code contributor himself will start using that crazy
branch, just to see his own enhancements working in tandem with the latest and greatest of OFBiz.

Jonathon