Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jeffrey Rodriguez <je...@hotmail.com> on 2000/07/12 07:01:23 UTC

Re: XRI requirements

Ed,

I would like to add to the list of requirements the following:

Grammar Caching
---------------

This would allow the parser to be set for server applications
where we have small message that need to be validated by a
parser and we do not want to reset the Grammar internal
representation every time that we get a new message.

We currently create a Grammar internal representation of
the XML Grammar that we are using ( DTD, Schema, or whatever
else will ever be defined a Grammar to describe XML) we parse
the small message and then we throw away the internal Grammar
representation until the next message comes.

With this feature, we could cache the Grammar(s) either
programmatically or as they are created for the first time.

The next time a cached DTD is found we reuse it so we do not
have to pay the penalty of creating a new Grammar.

Of fast server application that parser and try to validate
documents this would be a performance winner.

Of course all this within the confines of our pluggable architecture
so small barebone parsers don't have to validate, cache or deal
with Grammar only with basic well formdness check.

In the Server side the same parser configure to validate with
could deal with validation in an efficient way.

Thanks,
                Jeffrey Rodriguez
                IBM Silicon Valley

Re: [Xerces2] Requirements list; 'Xerces2'?; cross-posting

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> As far as defining what comes out of the parser goes we must put the XML
> Information Set [1] on the list of requirements.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset

Oh, totally +1, it was obvious to me.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [Xerces2] Requirements list; 'Xerces2'?; cross-posting

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Ed Staub wrote:

> If no one better-suited has volunteered to run the proposed requirements
> list in the interim, I'll post an updated list tonight.

Great!

> Do we have consensus on "Xerces2" as a name?
> All of the very recent mail has been in favor.
> Should someone actively poll the committers?

I hope nobody will want to waste any more time on looking for another
name when there are so many more important issues to work on. Let's
focus our energy on the requirements!

> I think this discussion should probably move to(ONLY)
> xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org., not general@xml.apache.org.  I'm going to
> start posting just on xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org.  OK?

I agree.

Re: [Xerces2] Requirements list; 'Xerces2'?; cross-posting

Posted by Octav Chipara <oc...@cse.unl.edu>.

Hi Ed,

This is great ...

Octav

RE: XRI requirements

Posted by James Snell <js...@lemoorenet.com>.
I must appologize if this suggestion has already been made (I have to admit
that I haven't been following the discussion as closely as I should be), but
I think it would be cool for the parser to have support for loading and
validating only certain requested portions of a document -- a useful feature
when dealing with large xml databases, for example.

- James