Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Tom Davies <to...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2013/07/24 01:13:18 UTC

Re: [libreoffice-users] Conflicts?

Hi :)
I think it's the same conflicts as between any 2 versions of LibreOffice or any 2 versions of AOO or OOo.  Basically avoid having both open at the same time.  That might mean turning off the Quickstarter of both of them.

This link might help
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel#Windows
Regards from
Tom :)

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
This is especially true with the advent of the newer wide screen
monitors.  Thee's lots of space on the sides that would give more room
at the top and bottom so that visualization of an entire document
wouldn't make the text so small it can't be seen by my tired old eyes.

And it gets compounded in the browser with the number of software
packages out there that try to add another toolbar to your browser
whether you want it or not.

Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU
http://leather.casaerwin.org

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 20:35:39 +0100 (BST)
Tom Davies <to...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi :)
> Just out of curiosity has anyone tried the Apache OpenOffice 4.0 yet?
>
> I really liked the sound of the toolbar down the side so i just gave it a quick go.  I was a tad disappointed to find that toolbar was in addition to the ones we both already have at the top and mostly was just a duplication of many of those buttons.  However 1st time try-outs of new things seldom go completely smoothly!  lol
>
> I would really like to see both LO and AOO go this route and faster.  At the moment all programs seem intent on making the screen more and more like a letter-box slit with more and more wasted space at the sides and more and more crammed in at the top&bottom.
>
> It's becoming tougher and tougher to see a whole document all at the same time.
> Regards from
> Tom :)

The individual toolbars and the sidebar are all separately switchable on/off in a standard AOO 4.0 installation.

Switching off standard toolbars releases space at screen top; using Sidebar uses side space. If one wishes even more vertical space one can (Operating system dependent) often turn a wide monitor on its side.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [libreoffice-users] Conflicts?

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
Tom Davies wrote:
> Just out of curiosity has anyone tried the Apache OpenOffice 4.0 yet?

I have installed it, but haven't had much chance to work with it.

Re: [libreoffice-users] Conflicts?

Posted by Tom Davies <to...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi :)
+1
wrt to the tabs

Also
+1
wrt the bad first stab at side-toolbar

Hopefully these things will change in some future release.  Hopefully as Extensions that could be used in LO ;)
Regards from
Tom :)

deleted

Re: [libreoffice-users] Conflicts?

Posted by Victor Goff <vg...@verizon.net>.
I don't use Linux OS but will take your suggestion and try to find a set of TTF fonts on the Internet.

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Posted by JB <yo...@lavabit.com>.
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:32:44 -0400
Victor Goff <vg...@verizon.net> wrote:

  <top-posting corrected>

> On Aug 5, 2013, at 1:17 PM, JB wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 20:35:39 +0100 (BST)
> > Tom Davies <to...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi :)
> >> Just out of curiosity has anyone tried the Apache OpenOffice 4.0 yet?
> >>

> >  Since the announcement of it that it was out and ready for downloading.
> > Incredibly faster startup and looks a heck of a lot better too!
>
> Have you tried to type a letter using any font of your choice?  I have and it is
> terrible.

  Type a letter in Writer? Yes, I have. As a matter of fact, it wasn't actually a
  "letter", it's a list of all my movies (280+) that I have burned onto BDR's, with
  each disc number in bold and underlined and the movie titles numbered then the
  title name following. I like DejaVu sans serif size 11 and it looks great and
  prints great in AOO Writer. I've not had any trouble whatsoever with AOO or even
  OOo since I started using Linux in 2000 (that's when I quit using M$ after almost
  6 years of using it and getting so disgusted with it I switched OS's literally
  overnight).

  JB

--
“Those who suppress freedom always do so in the name of law and order.” -John v.
Lindsey

Re: [libreoffice-users] Conflicts?

Posted by Victor Goff <vg...@verizon.net>.

Posted by JB <yo...@lavabit.com>.

Posted by Tom Davies <to...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi :)

Posted by Allmen Quester <a....@gmail.com>.
I forgot to add that I also have Microsoft Office installed.

Posted by Allmen Quester <a....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Virgil Arrington <cu...@hotmail.com>.