Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Julien Martelli <jm...@pcap.fr> on 2009/07/30 11:51:46 UTC

Maven site generation and multi-module

Hi all,

As far as I understand the maven site plugin behavior, if I want to display
on my main project webpage links to project submodule's webpages I have to
use inheritance. Am I wrong?

I mean it is impossible to create a global POM file containing references to
sub-modules and without inheritance relationship on each sub-module POM file
and then to have a mvn site command on the global POM file to generate a
general webpage with all the links to the sub-modules.

Am I wrong?

If I am right, is there something planned about it or does the site command
is designed to manage only inheritance?

Thanks in advance!

julien

RE: Maven site generation and multi-module

Posted by Julien Martelli <jm...@pcap.fr>.
OK, sorry for the messy section ;)

Actually I solved my problem by adding inheritance & multi-modules to my project.
The problem came from the fact that I am working with an existing project architecture and there were missing relationships between modules.

Thanks a lot anyway!

julien

> As far as I understand the maven site plugin behavior, if I want to
> display on my main project webpage links to project submodule’s webpages
> I have to use inheritance. Am I wrong?

You just have to use a menu <menu ref="modules" /> in your site.xml and declare
your modules in the parent pom.

> I mean it is impossible to create a global POM file containing
> references to sub-modules and without inheritance relationship on each
> sub-module POM file and then to have a mvn site command on the global
> POM file to generate a general webpage with all the links to the
> sub-modules…

I got lost in the middle part there, can you re-formulate that somewhat simpler?
Did you check the site plugin docs [1], sections on 'Inheritance' and 'Including
Generated Content'?

HTH,
-Lukas

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/examples/sitedescriptor.html