Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2007/06/05 19:50:49 UTC

Re: Is there any way to make CDE installation easier?

On 4/28/07, Mirko Jahn <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For using an update site with features, we don't need to change
> anything in the existing plug-ins. We only need to create a new
> feature (with the Eclipse Wizard) and point to the UIMA plug-ins. So
> far so good.
>
> The only problem, as far as I know is, that we can't refer to
> features, which are not part of our site within a feature as include.
> But we can define dependencies on a particular EMF plugin/feature as
> required (see: http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/feature_manifest.html).
>
> If I got it right from the spec of an update site
> (http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/update_sitemap.html)
> we can refer to external features by url. In that case, the "add
> required" Button in Eclipse update manager should do the job in
> finding all required plug-ins.
>
> I haven't tested that yet, but after a short look into the Eclipse
> help, it looks like a possible way.
>
> -- Mirko

I wanted to bring this thread back to everyone's attention.  The idea
of creating a new feature sounded promising.  Any chance we can get
this done? (Mirko, would you be willing to submit a patch?)  The
difficulty of installing our plugins and the right EMF version
continues to bite us.

-Adam

Re: Is there any way to make CDE installation easier?

Posted by Mirko Jahn <mi...@gmail.com>.
I am still not sure, if it works. I only read the documentation
without any samples supporting this. I want to test that first, before
making any promisses, but I think I can look into that next week.

Does anyone here have ever tried this before? I mean, we are probably
not the only ones, with such problems.

-- Mirko