Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Doyle, Annette" <An...@ausinfo.com> on 2003/01/10 17:15:44 UTC

New xercesImpl compatible with java 1.1

Can you use xercesImpl.jar with runtime environment of java 1.1?

thanks

Re: New xercesImpl compatible with java 1.1

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
As far as I know, both Xerces and Xalan are still intended to run with
Java 1.1.8 (the "final bug fix" version of 1.1).  The developers are
mostly on 1.3 or later, so dependencies on newer JDKs do creep in
occasionally; if you find one, report it.

Maintaining compatability with 1.1 JDKs is a significant nuisance, and may
even be costing us some performance.  Unfortunately, every time we've
asked about abandoning it the Apache community has told us "I've upgraded
but my customers won't, or can't, and I'm not in a position to force them
to do so. I really do still need 1.1 support."