Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Peter Veentjer <al...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/03 14:32:41 UTC

maven repository

Hi Guys,

is there a maven repository containing 0.89 SNAPSHOT? I have tried tons of
repositories, but to no avail.

I also tried building the hbase-0.89.20100924 locally using maven, but then
I get a compilation error:

/java/projects/hbase-0.89.20100924/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/master/RegionManager.java:[655,9]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class NotAllMetaRegionsOnlineException
location: class org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.RegionManager

/java/projects/hbase-0.89.20100924/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/master/RegionManager.java:[690,9]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class NotAllMetaRegionsOnlineException
location: class org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.RegionManager

And tons more.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Just in case, we maintain a no-warranties-at-all Maven repo of HBase
artefacts for Lily:

http://lilyproject.org/maven/maven2/deploy/org/apache/hbase/hbase/

Regards,

Steven.

--
Steven Noels
http://outerthought.org/

Re: maven repository

Posted by Stack <sa...@gmail.com>.
Not so for release plugin.  I should probably read plugin arc...

Re: maven repository

Posted by Andrew McCall <an...@goroam.net>.
Stack,

Re: maven repository

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Stack for doing this. Appreciated.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Imran M Yousuf <im...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Imran M Yousuf <im...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks a lot St.Ack. Will
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/ be
>> synchronized with Maven Central?
>>

> It looks like other published artifacts of Apaches show in maven
> central.  Maybe there is a step beyond what is listed herein,
> http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html, that I need
> to do, but maybe it will just appear (I asked one of the zk lads and
> he says he did nothing extra to get zk into maven central).  I'll keep
> an eye on it and if it doesn't appear over next few days will ask
> Apache INFRA.

I have noticed the POM and from that I can see that it refers to
external repositories other than maven central; this could be
prohibitive from putting the artifacts to maven central. But I do not
think that is imperative as long as the release and snapshot
repository URLs' are available in the HBase website.

> St.Ack
> P.S. I saw your tweet asking if hbase was available in maven repo yet
> but ignored it because was embarrassed about it taking so long.  I
> apologize.

Please don't mention. In fact as a HBase user I should also apologize
for not volunteering in helping with it since I am working with maven
for quite some time now. In fact you can count me in for any maven
related work for HBase.

Regards,

Imran

Re: maven repository

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: maven repository

Posted by Imran M Yousuf <im...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot St.Ack. Will

Re: maven repository

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hey Stack,

> It looks like 0.90.0 hbase is showing in the releases repository now.
> Let me know if an issue with it.

I've been out of the loop. Sorry that I didn't catch this earlier but
I'm glad you managed to figure it out. Thank you very much for the
release.

Cheers,
Lars

Re: maven repository

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Daniel Iancu <da...@1and1.ro> wrote:
> This problem can be solved now by:
>
> -using http://people.apache.org/~rawson/repo or other unofficial repo with
> known risks
>
> -make 0.20-append-r1056497 available on a public reliable server
>
> -change hbase-test API so HDFS minicluser (MiniDFSCluster) is instantiated
> internally  and not by unit tests (no need for hadoop-test dependency)
>
> If the last 2 options are feasible for you I can create a JIRA, just let me
> know.

1. is temporary soln.  Its possible that the append hadoop will be
released soon.  If it happens, we should be able to get it into
Apache's repo.  On 3., take a look at how its now done.  The
HBaseTestingUtility is trying to be universal tool that lets you start
up any cluster combination, with or without HDFS.   Perhaps you can
add to HTU an API that does a spin up of hdfs under a minihbasecluster
in a way that doesn't need hadoop-test?  Is that even possible?

St.Ack

Re: maven repository

Posted by Daniel Iancu <da...@1and1.ro>.
Hi Stack
I've looked again over our conversation and I think my comment was not
very clear. So, your pom does
not need to be patched, it is fine as long as people don't use
hbase-test library in their projects.
If they do, again pom is fine but their pom need a dependency on the
right hadoop-test, now that is v 0.20-append-r1056497 which is not
publicly available.

RE: maven repository

Posted by Daniel Iancu <Da...@1and1.ro>.
Sure, I can do that. I was thinking, maybe somehow the HBase Mini Cluster class can be refactored so it hides the dependency on the Hdfs Mini Cluster class. Something like instead of us instantiating the HDFS mini cluster and then injecting it in the HBase minicluster we can tell the HBase cluster to use such an instance, by default for example...I'm not sure right now, let me double check it tomorrow but I think things could be simplified a little here.

Daniel

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Norman:

Yes.

The repo. has a (signed) build of an Hadoop branch that has not had a
release made from it.  We're in negotiations about making a release
from this branch but its 'complicated'.  Hosting in a personal account
is, as we see it, a temporary stopgap until we get to an official
release.  This is not the best idea, agreed.   We intend moving it
elsewhere if our trouble getting to an official version goes on too
much longer.

Thanks for weighing in,
St.Ack

Re: maven repository

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi there,

Re: maven repository

Re: maven repository

Posted by Daniel Iancu <da...@1and1.ro>.
Hi Stack,
Good news, thanks. I've used it and compiled the project successfully.
Issues, no, one remark still.
We use MiniHBaseCluster from hbase-tests library and this class is used
together with MiniDFSCluster from hadoop-tests.
The dependency to MiniDFSCluster being in our code is not resolved
automatically by including

<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.hbase</groupId>
<artifactId>hbase</artifactId>
<version>0.90.0</version>
<classifier>tests</classifier>
<scope>tests</scope>
</dependency>

To get the right version of hadoop-tests for the project I scanned your
pom and found it on http://people.apache.org/~rawson/repo repository.
So I put here what is required in pol.xml to be able to compile and test
with 0.90, see below.
Regards,
Daniel

<properties>
<hbase.version>0.90.0</hbase.version>
<hadoop.version>0.20-append-r1056497</hadoop.version>
</properties>

<repositories>
<repository>
<id>apache</id>
<url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases</url>
<releases>
<enabled>true</enabled>
</releases>
<snapshots>
<enabled>false</enabled>
</snapshots>
</repository>
<repository>
<id>hadoop-append</id>
<url>http://people.apache.org/~rawson/repo</url>
<releases>
<enabled>true</enabled>
</releases>
<snapshots>
<enabled>false</enabled>
</snapshots>
</repository>
</repositories>

<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.hbase</groupId>
<artifactId>hbase</artifactId>
<version>${hbase.version}</version>
</dependency>

<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.hbase</groupId>
<artifactId>hbase</artifactId>
<version>${hbase.version}</version>
<classifier>tests</classifier>
<scope>tests</scope>
</dependency>

<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.hadoop</groupId>
<artifactId>hadoop-test</artifactId>
<version>${hadoop.version}</version>
<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>
</dependencies>

Re: maven repository

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Daniel:

Re: maven repository

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Daniel Iancu <da...@1and1.ro> wrote:
> Hi Stack
> Since project is buildable you'll need to configure the distribution
> management stuff.

That is done and all seems to check out.

> You could use an empty project to try and error the
> settings then use them for HBase. If it helps, I can try deploying it on our
> internal repository and then share the steps.

I think I have it.  Almost there (though I've been at this stage for
maybe three days now -- smile).

> And yes, you cannot disable tests for release, just for install.

Thanks for the confirmation of the obnoxious mvn behavior (Makes me
think of TSA and airport security for some reason).

St.Ack

Re: maven repository

Posted by Daniel Iancu <da...@1and1.ro>.
Hi Stack