Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2011/06/03 14:10:48 UTC

CouchDB embedded in Eclipse - current status?

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating whether we could use couchdb as embedded DB for one of your projects. So far we use couchdb on server side but would like to synchronize some data with various Eclipse clients .

I came across http://damienkatz.net/2009/08/wanted_couchdb_eclipse_plugin.html and https://github.com/pittypanda/com.pittypanda.plugins.couch#readme

The latter seems to require some working servers already installed, and the former makes me believe that no solution is available yet. Is this right?

I'm experienced with Eclipse, but unfortunately not experienced enough to know how to install/run Erlang runtimes in Eclipse :(

Best,
Marcel

--
Eclipse Code Recommenders:
 w www.eclipse.org/recommenders

Re: CouchDB embedded in Eclipse - current status?

Posted by Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 03.06.2011, at 17:57, Ryan Ramage wrote:

> I have some java code that manages a local install of couchdb. Here
> are some places you might want to look:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/eckoit/source/browse/trunk/eckoit-tray/src/main/java/com/googlecode/eckoit/util/CouchLocator.java
> http://code.google.com/p/eckoit/source/browse/trunk/eckoit-tray/src/main/java/com/googlecode/eckoit/tray/CouchDBProcessManager.java

Thanks for the pointers. Starting/Stoping when the application starts would be ok I guess. I could imagine to run a local couchdb per Eclipse Workspace and start CouchDB with appropriate paths to the Erlang runtime and DB location.

> I can't see any way of 'embedding' into eclipse other than by an
> external process. I have it bundled with my desktop application and I
> manage the start/stop when the application starts/stops.

Do you have binaries for Erlang bundled too? Or just for CouchDB? How many OS do you support?
I silently assume that I need one CouchDB build per OS. Is this right?

Thanks,
Marcel

Posted by Ryan Ramage <ry...@gmail.com>.
Marcel,

I have some java code that manages a local install of couchdb. Here
are some places you might want to look:

http://code.google.com/p/eckoit/source/browse/trunk/eckoit-tray/src/main/java/com/googlecode/eckoit/util/CouchLocator.java
http://code.google.com/p/eckoit/source/browse/trunk/eckoit-tray/src/main/java/com/googlecode/eckoit/tray/CouchDBProcessManager.java

I can't see any way of 'embedding' into eclipse other than by an
external process. I have it bundled with my desktop application and I
manage the start/stop when the application starts/stops. You will need
to manage different couch binaries as well for each os.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 9 June 2011 08:14, Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>>> In any case, I will give it a try and create a simple feature + plug-in for Eclipse that packages the latest CouchDB w/ Erlang runtime for MacOSX  + code that starts CouchDB from within Eclipse.
>>
>> Awesome!
>
> I spent few minutes on this today. Starting/stoping an instance of CouchDB from within Eclipse works. Configuration parameters like "database_dir" "util_driver_dir" etc., however, still point to the build folder. This needs some adjustments, for example by rewriting the configuration file on startup.
>
> How can we continue?
> 1. To use CouchDB from Eclipse support for most popular os is needed. This should include win32/64, linux32/64, and mac32/64.
> 2. The configuration issues need to be solved.
> 3. To use CouchDB at Eclipse the code of CouchDB and Erlang must pass an IP check. Especially for Erlang this may take some time.
>
> While the latter is more my problem than yours, how about the former two? Is it realistic to get builds for other os from CouchDB community?
>
> The (minimalistic) Eclipse/Java code to start/stop CouchDB is round about 20 lines and will grow to a few hundred lines I think to deal with configuration rewrites etc.
>
> Let me know what you think about it.
>
> Thanks,
> Marcel

I don't use Eclipse, nor java. But I can cover the windows side of (1) for you.

A+
Dave

Re: CouchDB embedded in Eclipse - current status?

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Friday, June 10, 2011, Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

>>> I spent few minutes on this today. Starting/stoping an instance of CouchDB from within Eclipse works. Configuration parameters like "database_dir" "util_driver_dir" etc., however, still point to the build folder. This needs some adjustments, for example by rewriting the configuration file on startup.
>>>
>>> How can we continue?
>>> 1. To use CouchDB from Eclipse support for most popular os is needed. This should include win32/64, linux32/64, and mac32/64.
>>
>>> 2. The configuration issues need to be solved.
>>
>> Again using rcouch templates you can build customs couch with the
>> config you need, and distribute it as a binary. Maybe it could help?
>>
>> https://github.com/refuge/rcouch_template
>

> Will have a look at this.
>
>>> 3. To use CouchDB at Eclipse the code of CouchDB and Erlang must pass an IP check. Especially for Erlang this may take some time.
>>>
>> Not sure why ? You can get last uri used by couch by getting it in
>> couch.uri file and let ip an dport be set automatically by the system
>> (0.0.0.0:0)
>
> sorry, this term is overloaded. With "IP" i meant "Intellectual Property" check.

oh! ok...

Posted by Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 4 Jun 2011, at 15:55, Marcel Bruch wrote:

> On 04.06.2011, at 15:45, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

>>> OK. Assuming that this compiled code could be separated and packaged in a platform-independent way we just need one plug-in for CouchDB 1.0.x + one plug-in for each "Erlang Runtime x supported OS" combination. Thus, this boils down to "how can we use an Erlang Runtime packaged as plug-in".
>>
>> I forgot: There's parts of CouchDB that are in C and thus are platform dependent, like Spidermonkey, the ICU port driver and in trunk the JSON NIFs.
>
> OK.
>
>> I'd still recommend just taking the folder that build-couchdb produces and create one bundle per architecture.
>
> The build folder is 70MB large. Could this be reduced further? This is not a hard requirement but it would be nice if this could be reduced a bit.

Pretty sure it can :)

Posted by Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 04.06.2011, at 15:25, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> Ah yes, compiled Erlang byte code works cross-platform. As do internal data serialisation formats that we use for data storage.

OK. Assuming that this compiled code could be separated and packaged in a platform-independent way we just need one plug-in for CouchDB 1.0.x + one plug-in for each "Erlang Runtime x supported OS" combination. Thus, this boils down to "how can we use an Erlang Runtime packaged as plug-in".

Let's see how this can be tackled.

Thanks,
Marcel

Re: CouchDB embedded in Eclipse - current status?

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de>.