Posted to users@hop.apache.org by "Himpe, Christian" <ch...@uni-muenster.de> on 2022/10/18 10:25:23 UTC

HTTP GET and POST actions

Dear Hop Community,

I am an new user and I am attempting to build a small "Workflow" in which a "GET" and then a "POST" are send to an HTTP endpoint and the answer "result: ok" is checked. Currently, I am doing this with scripts, but I was wondering, if I am overlooking the appropriate "action" for these simple HTTP tasks.

I tried the actions "Check webservice availability" (but I need authentication), HTTP (but I do not need a file downloaded), as well as a "pipeline" inside the workflow with a sole transformation of "HTTP Client" "HTTP Post" or "Rest Client" (neither of which worked).

What would be the best practice here? Or is a "Check if HTTP" action a potential future feature?

Thank you for your insights

Christian

Re: HTTP GET and POST actions

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
 Hi Christian,

We are always open to new feature requests, feel free to create a ticket
and explain the use case and expected results. I think in this case you
want to evaluate a return value and not just see if you get a status 200?

For the pipeline Transforms, it’s hard to tell what is going wrong with
this explanation, we did have an issue with the Rest client throwing an
error, this has been resolved in our 2.1 release. What I suspect could be
the cause of confusion is that all these transforms require input. They
currently do not act as input transforms and thus need rows to start
processing. We have a ticket for this (HOP-3531).

It is enough to add a “Generate rows” that generates 1 empty row to trigger
the transform to execute the web call.

If you have other issues, a reproduction path (sample pipeline) would be
the fastest way to see where we can improve or help you.

Cheers,
Hans