Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.co.za> on 2001/11/28 15:03:05 UTC

James efficiency query

Hi,

I realise this may be a difficult question to answer, but I am trying to
gauge how fast James is when compared to Sendmail, Postfix etc. I have an
application that needs to send out large volumes of email (100,000+ per
mailing) and speed is a crucial factor. While I would like to develop an
all-Java solution, I need to know if James can handle the load efficiently,
and if it is suited to this task.

Thanks,

Craig

Re: James efficiency query

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
How frequently are these mailings and what kind of box are you intending to
run this on?

I know 1.2.1 would be too slow, and while 2.x has vastly performance
improvement, there is an unresolved issue when the number of messages in the
queue gets very large (the server down geometrically as # messages
increases, which is a bad thing :).  We have some possibly patches and
haven't committed to doing it one way or another.  But I think with that
resolved and configuring the server for several hundred delivery threads, I
think James might stand a chance.

(Definitely once we port to non-blocking IO, but Avalon/cornerstone is only
beginning to figure out how to incorporate that, the JDK 1.4 isn't final
yet, and then we'd need to port to an event-based socket system, but that
will tremendously improve scalability.)

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>