Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jolyon Suthers <js...@powerup.com.au> on 2005/12/12 09:22:49 UTC

JavaScript and Lists

Hi,

I have spent the last 6 months (off and on, as work priorities change)
working on a time sheeting system for my work. The application has a large
amount of logic to apply, and I successfully argued for implementing it in
java, with tapestry v4, hivemind and hibernate as the solution.

My problem is that there is a requirement for the web page to not refresh,
during processing; ala ajax style development.

I have been able to achieve all of this functionality through the
extensive use of client-side javascript and the xmlhttprequest design
process. This has enabled me to have lot's of functionality that is fast
within our local network.

My problem is that within the timesheet there is a list of "time on task"
style information. During the rendering of the form I do not know how many
entries within this list will be submitted. Javascript is used on the form
to add and remove new rows within the table.

I have accomplished a number of "tricks", where html portions are rendered
by tapestry, and then returned in an xml response, to be included within
the page.

The problem here is that I have had to construct manual processes for
converting the list's fields into java objects - this being against the
spirit of tapestry in my eyes. This process, while quick, is completely
manual, and labour intensive to change.

While this is a problem that I have solved, I really don't like the
solution that I've used - so if there is a preferred pattern for solving
this, then I am interested in adopting it.

Thanks,

Jolyon Suthers