Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> on 2014/05/24 21:08:48 UTC

Clarification about D&O insurance and bad acts

[This is an aside for the "ASF Release Policy" discussion.]

I wrote this earlier:

> I can assure you that there are things that individuals could do here that
would get them in trouble. :-)

One of the first plaintiffs I ever represented was a welfare recipient who
was sexually abused by her county social worker. Although this was obviously
outside the scope of his official responsibilities, the defendant county was
forced to pay for legal counsel to protect itself from civil damages. That
California county was self-insured; ASF buys D&O insurance for similar
reasons.

A few years ago there was discussion on various FOSS lists about how women
are sometimes harassed at technical conferences. That is an example of a bad
act that can force ASF to defend its own official anti-harassment policies
using its D&O insurance (assuming that such alleged bad acts are covered by
the specific insurance policy), but the bad actor himself has his own
individual legal problems too! That is why ASF directors and officers are
encouraged to behave themselves at our conferences, for their own sake and
for the sake of our insurance deductible!

You obviously are more concerned here about what ASF projects do with their
software, and our "Release Policy" (as revised) has had a long thread here.
But as long as individual PMC members comply in good faith with an approved
ASF release policy, it shouldn't matter much what policy we finally approve.
Courts don't usually fault non-profits for developing their own rational
policies, and we have D&O insurance to protect us - and our directors and
officers doing their official acts - if we follow a rational release policy.

This is a long and partly rambling message to suggest that the discussion
about the ASF Release Policy isn't really a legal issue at all and probably
doesn't belong on this list. Define a rational policy and the law won't
interfere.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com/> www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
But when the "final" QA is done, it tests the entity as a
whole. So it's not so much the individual "bits" that
get tested, but the completed and combined work.

For us, the normal day-to-day effort of how we develop
and backport/commit changes are the sort of "piece part"
QA tests... The release is the whole shebang.

In this way, a comparison with an automobile, not a toy,
would be closer to the truth. Or a craft beer:

 "All the hops are fine: +1; All the malt is good: +1;
  Water passes all purity tests: +1; fermentation going
  as planned: +1... etc...

  Geez. This tastes like shit."

:)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 29 May 2014 15:54, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Actually I like the QA analogy ;-)
>
> And a QA department is not going to check every toy in every batch of
> toys.... instead they will do a random check... either checking one toy at
> random in each batch (or a fraction of batches), or checking all toys in a
> small fraction of batches.

Oh! and if they find a failure then they will obviously call halt and start
checking more... and only reduce the level of checks once things return to
normal.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Of course. I have specifically said that we should take
advantage of as many advances as possible. My point is
that there is a difference between what tools are used
and how/if they address the social implications behind
the process.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On May 29, 2014, at 12:31 PM, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:

> Ultimately I'm really, truly, striving to help the ASF streamline our ultimate premise: shipping software.

But the premise itself is based on, and guided by, other premises.
And they are "just" as important.

For example, one could argue that the whole equal-merit
concept bogs down development. To streamline shipping
software, we should do away with merit and have a BDFL.
Or that public discussion and transparency hinders our
ability to ship software, so we drop that. Or that poisonous
people are just fine, and we don't worry about them being
part of the community... etc.

But such things are part of who and what we are. They are
part of our DNA. They are part of what makes Apache, Apache.
Removing those, or changing those has significant effects
on things.

We have these policies in place because over the last ~19 years
(including pre-ASF days), they have proven to work. It's
not the only way to "ship software", but it's the way we've
chosen and it's been successful. Now sure we want to avoid
fluff and stupid, meaningless procedure, but it's been explained
that the reasoning has real, concrete rationale behind it.
It's disingenuous to suggest changing process with no knowledge
of why things are the way they are, or because you don't value
or understand the rationale. You fail to appreciate the *social*
importance of, for example, the 3 +1 vote for a release rule,
and hence see it as needless. Only by understanding the social
principles of the ASF can one then realistically see where
valid and potential changes can be made.

Re: Clarification about D&O insurance and bad acts

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
My point is that disregarding the existing rules because one
doesn't agree with them, or thinks they are "old fashioned"
or because "other places do it differently" is NOT acting
in good faith.

As I said countless times: you are confusing our normal
day-to-day responsibility for the special and unique
circumstance of doing a release. It is not unnecessary
nor is it redundant.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

 Date: Thursday, 29 May, 2014, 13:49

 Not sure what you mean by

 Jagielski" <ji...@jagunet.com>

 wrote:
 > > Ross Gardler wrote:
 > >
 > > > In my
 mind (and I am not a lawyer so that means almost nothing in
 these situations) the requirement to have 3 PMC members
 indicate that, to the best of their knowledge, the release
 is compliant with the policy is sufficient.

 > > Leaving my
 lawyer hat off for a bit, it seems so to me too. I'm not
 worried. I wasn't even worried about that when I served
 on the board. /Larry

 Larry Rosen

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
So how do we demonstrate that 'individual PMC members comply in good faith
with an *approved* ASF release policy"?

In my mind (and I am not a lawyer so that means almost nothing in these
situations) the requirement to have 3 PMC members indicate that, to the
best of their knowledge, the release is compliant with the policy is
sufficient.

Personally, I cannot be certain I have reviewed every single commit between
release X and release Y and therefore I will never vote +1 on a release
unless I have spent the time reviewing the license, upstream license
compatibility, NOTICE file etc. By voting +1 I am saying that I have done a
review against our agreed policy and thus believe it is a valid release.

If I were ever pulled up in court I'd probably point to this mail (and many
others I have posted like it over the years, including at least one of my
board nomination statements) and claim it demonstrates a good faith effort
to be in compliance with the policy. I'd hope that the evidence of myself
and other mentors communicating this to podlings (and the board to TLPs)
would further demonstrate good faith efforts.

For me this is why a +1 is more than the tick box many people think it is.

Ross