Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@epimorphics.com> on 2012/01/11 20:25:28 UTC

Sorting out "eyeball"

Context: "Eyeball" is the jena application that is "lint for RDF".  It
checks RDF graphs for common and easy-to-make mistakes.

http://incubator.apache.org/jena/documentation/tools/eyeball-getting-started.html

While the code in Apache SVN has had the sourcecode headers upgraded, it
hasn't been generally sorted up into a release able condition.  And of
course everything is in the Import/ area.

As far as I aware, no one has plans to release in the near future.

Eyeball currently is downloadable from SourceForge.  Last release was
2010-04.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jena/files/Eyeball/Eyeball%202.3/

It hasn't been updated in while, so it depends on non-Apache Jena.

Eyeball has various plug-ins so the licensing on auxiliary jars needs to
be chased down and documented.  The tests don't run from ant (but do in
Eclipse - bizarre).  I ran out of time tracking licenses on some very
old jars where the license at the time was not obvious.
It would be easier to update the jars to newer ones.

I'd like to move from the main area of SVN into (for example), /Scratch,
add some README/LICENS/NOTICE labelling and wait for the time when
someone applies care and attention on it.

Should we also delete the jars that are checked in because of the
license unclarity?  (They'd still be in Imports/ and we can leave notes.

What should go on the website temporarily?  I think we either need to
remove the page or (better?) put a header on the top of the Eyeball
pages to point to SF and explain the license.

	Andy

Re: Sorting out "eyeball"

Posted by Chris Dollin <ch...@epimorphics.com>.
Benson said:

> Don't put any jars of unclear license in the main svn area.
>
> Putting it in /Scratch or /sandbox or whatever is fine.
>
> I might make some time to neaten it up for you.

(Mr Eyeball here ...)

I hope to put some effort into Eyeball in the next few weeks
to clean it up ready for a new release. I have in mind:

* strip out the web-service, analysis, and doctoring code
  (which is all undocumented anyway), which also eliminates
  the needs for some of the libraries

* strip out RDB support, add SDB and TDB support in its place

* Mavenise

* Consider whether to keep the GUI, throw it away, develop
  it further, or replace it with a server-style interface.

Chris

PS if it's moved to the scratchbox do I checkout from a different
    location or will the repo still be at the same address?

--
RIP Diana Wynne Jones, 1934 - 2011.

Epimorphics Ltd, http://www.epimorphics.com
Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High Street, Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT
Epimorphics Ltd. is a limited company registered in England (number 7016688)

Re: Sorting out "eyeball"

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Seems OK to me.

Re: Sorting out "eyeball"

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Sorting out "eyeball"

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 11/01/12 21:08, Benson Margulies wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Andy Seaborne
> <an...@epimorphics.com>  wrote:

>> I'd like to move from the main area of SVN into (for example), /Scratch, add
>> some README/LICENS/NOTICE labelling and wait for the time when someone
>> applies care and attention on it.
>>
>> Should we also delete the jars that are checked in because of the license
>> unclarity?  (They'd still be in Imports/ and we can leave notes.
>
> Don't put any jars of unclear license in the main svn area.
>
> Putting it in /Scratch or /sandbox or whatever is fine.

Thanks for the info - I've moved it to:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jena/Scratch/Eyeball/

It became too ambitious to prepare it so it needs long-term parking.

> I might make some time to neaten it up for you.

Happy!

Looking at extracting checking that can done in a streaming fashion
would be interesting, both for adding to the parser pipeline and to get
some scalability.

	Andy

Re: Sorting out "eyeball"

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.