Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> on 2013/03/18 17:11:40 UTC

[PUBLIC TALK] request for input for my talk "Apache OpenOffice - project status and release 4.0"

Hi,

sorry for cross-posting - I want to reach all of you almost directly.
Please reply to dev@openoffice.apache.org.

I will give a talk on a German conference about Apache OpenOffice in mid
April 2013 in Berlin. I had already mentioned this German conference in
an earlier post [1]. The conference is about free office suite, mainly
focused on Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice, and the OpenDocument file
format.
The title of my talk is "Apache OpenOffice - project status and release
4.0".

In the first part I will present the continuation of the project at
Apache and the actual project status. Some general remarks on the
project structure and processes ("The Apache Way") will be included, I
think. The main purpose of this part is to demonstrate how well
OpenOffice evolves at Apache since the change the project had suffered
in mid 2011. This will strengthen the confidence/trust in the project.

The second part is about our planned 4.0 release. The intention of this
part is to show how active the development of the product and the
project is by talking about the changes and improvements we had made/are
making for our planned 4.0 release.

Now my _big_ request to you _all_.
I am only one person and I have more or less a developer view on the
product and the project. E.g., I am not active on all our mailing lists.
On certain areas I have no deep insight.
Thus, please provide me with information about the stuff that is going
on in your area of interest.
What are the key milestones which you had achieved for the project?
What are your contributions for our coming 4.0 release?
[If wanted I can name the corresponding contributor(s) in the
presentation document.]
The talk's length is 45 min. (30 min talk, 15 min Q&A) - I am able to
fill the presentation with the stuff I know, but I strongly believe that
in this case certain important stuff and details about the
product/project will missing.

I will collect all your input and I will fill a wiki page with the
summarized information. My presentation document will of course be
available for further usage. If the presentation document will not be
created at the last minute, I will also provide drafts of it for review
and feedback.

I am looking forward for your input.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201302.mbox/%3C512C9ED2.70601%40googlemail.com%3E

Big Thanks in advance,
Oliver.

Re: [PUBLIC TALK] request for input for my talk "Apache OpenOffice - project status and release 4.0"

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> The title of my talk is "Apache OpenOffice - project status and release
> 4.0".

A few things not to miss are, in random order (excluding the core
development activities that you surely already know about) and without
many details for the time being:
- QA: new volunteers, visible impact on Bugzilla backlog; dedicated
volunteers helping with accessibility testing
- Documentation: first chapters of the new user guide available on the wiki
- Localization: new volunteers, new languages, and remember that
OpenOffice by policy releases languages that are 100% complete and with
an active team
- New Localization process by Jan
- Stabilized wiki infrastructure, volunteers can work again
- Ongoing selection of new logo on marketing list
- And I'm surely still missing a lot of activities worth mentioning, and
more could happen before the event...

Good screenshots of a few product improvements are at
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Fidelity_Improvement_Since_AOO341

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: [PUBLIC TALK] request for input for my talk "Apache OpenOffice - project status and release 4.0"

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Rory,

You raise a contrast that I would like to understand.

I don't understand the claim you make and how it is substantiated.

What Desktop Publishing programs are you thinking of, with regard to their use in producing non-critical, non-professional document layout?  I'm having trouble understanding what that means and, if there is a decreased need for Desktop Publishing software as essential to such efforts, how making that easier is particularly unique to Apache OpenOffice.

It seems to me, based on how long I have used word-processing software (and the occasional desktop-publishing product), since I began personal computing in 1979, that there have been alternatives to DTP for making attractive but non-critical documents without the aid of professionals for a very long time.  Ways to have more quality easily seems to be part of steady improvement that tracks the increased power of personal computers.

I think I'm missing something.

 - Dennis

> I will give a talk on a German conference about Apache OpenOffice in mid
> April 2013 in Berlin. I had already mentioned this German conference in
> an earlier post [1]. The conference is about free office suite, mainly
> focused on Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice, and the OpenDocument file
> format.
> The title of my talk is "Apache OpenOffice - project status and release
> 4.0".
>
> In the first part I will present the continuation of the project at
> Apache and the actual project status. Some general remarks on the
> project structure and processes ("The Apache Way") will be included, I
> think. The main purpose of this part is to demonstrate how well
> OpenOffice evolves at Apache since the change the project had suffered
> in mid 2011. This will strengthen the confidence/trust in the project.
>
> The second part is about our planned 4.0 release. The intention of this
> part is to show how active the development of the product and the
> project is by talking about the changes and improvements we had made/are
> making for our planned 4.0 release.
>

> Now my _big_ request to you _all_.
> I am only one person and I have more or less a developer view on the
> product and the project. E.g., I am not active on all our mailing lists.
> On certain areas I have no deep insight.
> Thus, please provide me with information about the stuff that is going
> on in your area of interest.
> What are the key milestones which you had achieved for the project?
> What are your contributions for our coming 4.0 release?
> [If wanted I can name the corresponding contributor(s) in the
> presentation document.]
> The talk's length is 45 min. (30 min talk, 15 min Q&A) - I am able to
> fill the presentation with the stuff I know, but I strongly believe that
> in this case certain important stuff and details about the
> product/project will missing.
[ ... ]

You should mention the powerful style-based formatting and layout facilities of AOO and how it has largely superceded Desk Top Publishing applications for non critical/non professional document layout.  Most users/authors are now able to undertake their own layout and produce competent looking documents using AOO.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [PUBLIC TALK] request for input for my talk "Apache OpenOffice - project status and release 4.0"

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.